Melinda helps her clients envision and accomplish strategic transactions that enable them to achieve growth and reach critical financial goals. Melinda provides guidance on sophisticated merger, acquisition and joint venture transactions – and she excels at leading M&A teams and quarterbacking deals.
Clients trust Melinda to understand their big-picture goals and to execute the nuts and bolts of structuring, negotiating, and documenting complex deals. Because Melinda is a careful listener and develops close advisory relationships with her clients, she gains a deep understanding of her clients’ operations, products, markets and vision for the future.
Melinda’s knowledge of her clients enables her to be particularly effective in her work for global companies and with cross-border transactions. Melinda has exceptional depth of experience in M&A transactions in Europe, South America, and Asia.
Along with very broad M&A experience within the manufacturing and distribution sectors, Melinda has particular experience in chemical, industrial, advanced materials, infrastructure and automotive sectors.
Because Melinda enjoys expanding her knowledge to other aspects of business management, she received an MBA from Clemson and an LL.M. in taxation from NYU's School of Law. Melinda also enjoys teaching, and has been an adjunct professor at Clemson University for MBA students.
- M&A Indemnification Provisions: Are You Drafting Unenforceable Time Limits?, South Carolina Lawyer, May 2017
- M&A Midyear Update, Upstate Business Journal, September 2016
- The Art of M&A: Market Trends and Tips, Interview with GSA Biz Vibe, September 2016
- M&A Volume Reaches Record High: Deal Tips for Buyers and Sellers, Upstate Business Journal, December 2015
- M&A Trends in 2015, South Carolina Business Review interview with Mike Switzer, SC ETV Radio, October 2015
- A Seller’s Market in South Carolina: An Interview with Melinda Davis Lux, Investment Banking South, November 2014
- Purchase Price Adjustments in M&A Deals, The Practical Lawyer, February 2014
- M&A Buyer Protection Beyond Indemnification and Escrows, Strafford Webinar, September 2013
- Upstate Business Sale May Signal Larger Trend, Columbia Regional Business Report interview, February 2013
- Protecting Buyers in M&A Transactions, South Carolina Lawyer, September 2012
- M&A Deal Structuring: Why Setoff Rights Matter, Deal Points, Summer 2012
- Mergers and Acquisition on the Rise, South Carolina Business Review interview with Mike Switzer, SC ETV Radio, June 2012
- Negotiating Credit for Closely Held Companies When Credit Is Tight, The Practical Lawyer, August 2011
- Strategies for Successful Business Negotiations, South Carolina Business Review interview with Mike Switzer, SC ETV Radio, June 2011
- Five Tips for Decreasing Risk in Business Purchases, South Carolina Business Review interview with Mike Switzer, SC ETV Radio, March 2010
- Representing a Buyer in an Uncertain Economy: Mitigating the Risk, South Carolina Lawyer, March 2009
- Issues to Consider When Buying or Selling a Business, South Carolina Business Review interview with Mike Switzer, SC ETV Radio, April 2007
- Member, Cross Border Transactions Committee, Lex Mundi, 2012-Present
- Chair, Private Equity Subcommittee of American Bar Association Taxation Committee, 2014-Present
- Member, Mergers and Acquisitions Committee, American Bar Association, 2010-Present
- Member, Task Force on Model Asset Purchase Agreement, Business Law Section, American Bar Association, 2012-Present
- Member, Carolinas Chapter, National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), 2015-Present
- Member, Charlotte Chapter, Association for Corporate Growth (ACG), 2012-Present
- Advisory Board Member, Spiro Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership at Clemson University, 2011-Present (Chair, 2014-2016)
- Fellow, American Law Institute, 2015-Present
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2015-Present
- Adjunct Professor at Clemson University College of Business and Behavioral Sciences, Entrepreneurial law for MBA students, 2013-2015
- Graduate of South Carolina Economic Development Institute, 2013
- Graduate of Leadership South Carolina, Class of 2012
- Graduate of Leadership Greenville, Class 34
- Liberty Fellow, Class of 2010
- Greenville Small Business Development Corporation, Advisory Board Member, 2011-2012
- Greenville Professional Women’s Forum, Member, 2010-Present
- Member, South Carolina Women Lawyer’s Association, 2002-Present
- Greenville Symphony Association, Board Member, 2010-2013
- Greenville County First Steps, Board Member, 2010-2012
- Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Chambers USA
- Recognized as Legal Elite, Greenville Business Magazine
- South Carolina Women in Business Advocate of the Year, U.S. Small Business Administration South Carolina District Office
- Young Professional of the Year by the Greenville Chamber of Commerce
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Lead counsel for publicly traded apparel manufacturer in multiple acquisition transactions over 10-year period to achieve diversification and growth in branded apparel segment.
- Lead counsel for global, publicly traded manufacturer in the cross-border acquisition of a business division in the automotive sector with facilities in Europe, South Africa and Asia.
- Represented private equity fund in the acquisition of an industrial company with manufacturing facilities in the US and Europe.
- Assisted global manufacturer of specialty chemicals with multiple acquisition transactions of specialty fabrics companies.
- Represented European-headquartered manufacturer of polyurethane foam products in acquisition of specialty foam business in the US.