Mark has spent the last 40 years embedded in the cable television and Internet industries. Regulator, General Counsel, Copyright negotiator and trusted advisor, Mark has done them all. He works with clients on matters relating to international copyright, negotiations of program affiliation agreements, E-rate funding, pole attachment matters, local, state and federal regulation, interconnection agreements between private carriers, and submarine cable licenses.
His practice is international in scope. He represents cable television operators and competitive telecommunication providers in the Caribbean, cable television group owners in the United States, and E-rate vendors and local school districts. He has been active in the advancement of the legalization of satellite program carriage throughout the Caribbean. He assists cable television operators in the negotiation of program affiliation agreements and was responsible for creating the Caribbean Cable Cooperative, a buying cooperative for the acquisition of cable television program services by Caribbean cable television operators. He has assisted victims of International Toll Fraud. His work with local school districts and E-rate vendors has made it possible for k-12 school to obtain millions of dollars in E-Rate funding from the federal government.
- Telecommunications Regulation: Cable, Broadcasting, Satellite, and the Internet Treatise, (Co-authored with Rebecca Jacobs-Goldman), published bi-annually, Lexis Nexis.
- Ten Basic Rules for E-Rate Applications, (co-authored with Joan Stewart) Education Week, Jan. 12, 2005.
- Negotiating Program Contract, CATA Cable Newsletter.
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Mark is a Cable Television Pioneer and in 2014 he was named one of the Telecom industry’s nine “Dealmakers—Lawyers Who Make Cable Deals Legal” by Multi-channel News magazine.
- Created the Caribbean Cable Cooperative which is a cable television programming buying cooperative. The Caribbean Cable Cooperative has been central in legitimizing the delivery of cable television satellite programming throughout the Caribbean, reducing the wholesale cost of the programming, and bringing new programming to the region.
- Work with K-12 Schools and Internet Service providers have resulted in K-12 schools saving millions of dollars annually for the delivery of high-speed broadband for their students.
- Brought to successful conclusion a multi-year multi-national dispute over the cost and delivery of performing rights by local cable television company.
- Defended the use of Statutory and Compulsory licenses by Caribbean Cable operators which resulted in the legitimate expansion of many cable television satellite services in the region.
- Negotiated settlements for victims of International Toll Fraud.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.