Veteran IP attorney Kristen Healey Cramer represents domestic and international clients in IP litigation matters. Kristen has served as lead counsel in patent actions in federal district and appellate courts, in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent and Trial Appeal Board, and in a qui tam action involving patents. She also has served as trusted local trial counsel in the districts of Delaware and New Jersey in cases involving patent and trademark infringement and other IP-related matters.
In addition to representing pharmaceutical clients in Hatch-Waxman litigation, she has litigated patent matters involving medical devices, biotechnology, consumer products and electronics, computer networks, power and business methods, among other technologies and assets. She also advises clients regarding transactional IP matters and patents. Kristen’s peers selected her for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property Litigation.
Kristen is involved in several bar associations and performs pro bono service representing children with Delaware’s Office of the Child Advocate. She also leads the firm’s IP Content Committee and is active in the ACC’s Greater Philadelphia Chapter and Delaware BIO.
Presentations and Publications
- K. Cramer and D. Severance, Texas’ Loss is Delaware’s Gain: Navigating the Post-TC Heartland Landscape of Patent Litigation (May 22, 2017)
- R. Hutz, J Bove, M. Bourke, and K. Cramer, Notice and Pre-Filing Considerations (Chapter 3) and Trial (Chapter 15) in ANDA Litigation: Strategies and Tactics for Pharmaceutical Patent Litigators, American Bar Association (K. Dorsney, ed.) (2012 & 2d ed. 2016).
- Co-presenter (with Barry Herman), Easy to Claim But Harder to Preserve: Preserving the Privilege from the GC’s Office to Patent Counsel’s Office Here and Abroad, Association of Corporate Counsel’s Greater Philadelphia Chapter, Philadelphia, PA, April 27, 2017.
- Co-presenter (with Barry Herman), Hidden Dangers When Choosing Outside Counsel and Teaming Up with Similarly Situated Defendants: Ethical Implications of Beauty Contests, Hot Potatoes and Joint Defense Agreements, Association of Corporate Counsel’s Greater Philadelphia Chapter, Philadelphia, PA, December 4, 2014.
- Co-presenter (with Barry Herman), Anatomy of a Patent Dispute in 2014, Association of Corporate Counsel’s Greater Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, April 3, 2014.
- Moderator, FCBA Webcast, Industry Perspectives on the Patent Reform Act of 2010, July 2010.
- Federal Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
- ACC Greater Philadelphia Chapter, Firm Liaison
- Delaware BIO member; BIO Start-Up Stadium Judge (2019, 2020)
- National Women’s Law Center Leadership 35 Committee Member (2007-2009)
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Litigation – Intellectual Property, Patent Law, 2017 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Trial counsel for a large branded pharmaceutical company in multiple ANDA litigations regarding formulation and method-of-treatment patents related to treating gastrointestinal disease.
- Counsel for a large branded pharmaceutical company in an inter partes review of a patent directed at treating ulcerative colitis.
- Defense counsel for a Fortune 500 power company in a patent infringement suit and IPR involving smart meters.
- Defense counsel and appellate counsel for a large medical device company in a patent infringement suit involving methods of using electrochemical sensors for blood glucose monitoring.
- Delaware and New Jersey counsel in numerous intellectual property cases in federal district court.