Julius Bodie assists and advises US and foreign companies across multiple industries with cross-border transactions and international trade regulatory compliance. His experience includes identifying and developing import and export licensing strategies, including advising on applicable US export control regulations (ITAR/EAR) and import classifications (HTSUS/country of origin), counseling on Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) economic sanctions programs and internal risk-assessments, and helping companies navigate foreign investment reviews conducted by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
In his practice, Julius works with regulatory requirements involving the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection, the Department of State's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls and the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security. Julius assists with a variety of issues involving international trade remedies, restrictions, and enforcement, including issues ranging from global anti-corruption compliance (FCPA and UKBA), AD/CVD issues, Anti-Boycott regulations, and Section 232/Section 301 tariff strategies. Julius also advises government contractors on Buy American Act and Trade Agreements Act compliance.
Julius has previously served as a legal extern for the Honorable Stephen V. Wilson in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. He also worked as a law clerk for the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand under the Intellectual Property Attaché for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), assisting government officials on international trade and intellectual property matters, including the implementation of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, “Buy American Act in 2021: Key Changes and Future Outlook” (February 2021)
- Co-author, “CFIUS Update: Expanded Emphasis on U.S. Export Control Regulations” (September 2020)
- Co-author, "COVID-19 Trade Update: FEMA Implements Export Controls for PPE as CBP Issues Guidance Restrictions," Global Trade (April 2020)
- Co-author, “Final CFIUS Reform Regulations Formally Implemented” (February 2020)
- Co-author, "Commerce Rules May Heighten Network Security Enforcement," Law360 (January 2020)
- Co-author, "Winter 2019 U.S.-China Cybersecurity Update," Global Trade (November 2019)
- Co-author, "Foreign Investment Restrictions Update: New CFIUS Implementing Regulations Proposed by Treasury," Global Trade (October 2019)
- Co-author, "Critical Technology Transfers and the US Trade War with China," Birmingham Business Journal (September 2019)
- Co-author, "Economic Espionage and the U.S.-China Trade War," Global Trade (July 2019)
- Co-author, "U.S. Economic Sanctions Update 2018," TerraLex Connections (February 2019)
- Co-author, “BIS Requests Comments on “Emerging” Technologies for CFIUS and Export Control Reforms” (November 2018)
- Co-author, "Auto Industry's High Stakes in USMCA Implementation," Ward's Auto (October 2018)
- Co-author, "U.S. Steel and Aluminum Tariffs & Retaliation Tariffs Imposed," Trade & Industry Development (September 2018)
- Co-author, "The New Aluminum and Steel Tariffs: Implementation, Consequences, and Next Steps," Area Development (May 2018)
- Co-author, "Iran Sanctions 2018: Sanctions Waived for Perhaps Final Time," Global Trade Magazine (January 2018)
- Author, "Modern Imperialism in Crimea and the Donbas," Loyola International & Comparative Law Review Vol. 40 (July 2017)
- Author, "Protecting Intellectual Property Rights in Thailand's Digital Economy," Thai-American Business Magazine, American Chamber of Commerce (July 2016)
- Speaker, "Post-Brexit Implications for U.S. Customs," TerraLex Tax & Wealth Services Webinar, February 2021
- Speaker, "International Trade Update: How to Mitigate the Impact of Section 301 Tariffs," Moore Global Webinar, November 2019