Joseph Bias provides advice and counsel to education sector clients on a broad range of issues, including Title VII, Title IX, Clery Act, ADA, FERPA, FMLA, employment law related issues (EEOC & SCHAC complaints), compliance, ethics, risk management, student related legal issues, and other relevant federal and state laws. He has represented clients in hearings, trials, depositions and mediations. He also has experience representing client in clients in administrative, state and federal courts, as well as internal investigations and evaluations. Joseph has written Title IX policies for colleges and has served as an advisor and hearing officer in Title IX hearings.
In addition to his education based practice, Joseph has experience in insurance defense litigation. He has provided defense in the areas of construction law, premises liability litigation, product liability litigation, automobile accident/UIM cases, employment law, and education law.
Prior to joining the firm, Joseph served as general counsel and special advisor to the president of Midlands Technical College where he provided legal advice and assistance to Midlands Technical College Commission, Executive Council, President, and other college officials on complex legal matters, policy questions, and operational procedures. He also currently serves as a lead adjunct professor at the University of South Carolina School of Law.
Professional & Civic Engagement
- Member, South Carolina Bar Association
- House of Delegates, 2019 – Present
- Member, Richland County Bar Association
- Member, South Carolina Black Lawyers Association
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Member, South Carolina Association of College and University Attorneys
- Volunteer Attorney Coach, South Carolina Bar Law Related Education Mock Trial Program
- Member, Wofford College Young Alumni Leadership Council
- Member, Richland County School District Two R2i2 Advisory Panel
- Trial Advocacy Team Advisor/Coach, University of South Carolina School of Law
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in Columbia Business Monthly's Legal Elite, Education, 2023
- South Carolina Supreme Court’s “Pro Bono Honor Roll”, 2019 – 2022
- USC School of Law Black Law Students Association, “Jonathan Jasper Wright Award for Service”, 2021
- Columbia Business Monthly, “Best and Brightest 35 and Under”, 2020
- South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division “Young Lawyer of the Year”, 2019
- The State Newspaper’s (Columbia, SC), “20 Under 40”, 2018
- South Carolina Black Pages, “20 Under 40”, 2019
- South Carolina Lawyer Weekly, “Leadership in Law”, 2018
- South Carolina Bar, “Law Related Education Lawyer of the Year”, 2017