John is an experienced product liability attorney in complex mass tort litigation, defending domestic and foreign companies in multi-million dollar lawsuits with a particular emphasis on witness development and case defense development. Specific experience includes developing case strategy, and taking and defending depositions of expert and fact witnesses. John is also involved in the development of scientific and medical expert witnesses in the areas of addiction, pharmacology and brain physiology, from the pre-trial phase through deposition and trial testimony. John has worked on class action and multi-district litigation, as well as individual tort actions in state and federal courts in the United States, and in Canada, France, Spain, Israel, and Russia.
Over the course of his career, John has worked in a variety of legal settings, both domestically and internationally, and gained valuable experience working with diverse clients and co-counsel of different countries and cultures. John draws upon this experience to more effectively communicate complex legal and scientific concepts that are a routine part of his practice in a variety of contexts.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represents RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. in hundreds of personal injury/wrongful death cases throughout the United States, focusing on the development of case strategy and presentation of complex scientific issues in both individual and class actions.
- North Carolina counsel for engineering and manufacturing company of components sold to major domestic and international manufacturers.
- Defended pharmaceutical manufacturer as regional counsel in large and complex diet drug litigation.
- Part of the defense team of an international corporation in the first product liability lawsuit in the post-Soviet Union era.
- Regularly translates complex scientific concepts into practical legal terminology for the purposes of trial and deposition strategy and in direct and cross examinations of expert witnesses.