Jill Walters has more than a decade of experience guiding financial institutions, alternative finance companies, corporate clients of all sizes, and individuals through the bankruptcy and restructuring process. She regularly represents secured and unsecured creditors in bankruptcy cases filed under all chapters of the United States Bankruptcy Code and has experience representing clients of all sizes in adversary proceedings across the country. Jill provides value to her clients by taking the time to learn each client’s unique business and working collaboratively with her clients throughout the entire bankruptcy process.
Jill’s practice also includes lender representation in receiverships, commercial workouts, restructures, and note sales and in collection, foreclosure, and claim and delivery actions.
Jill serves in a leadership capacity for several professional organizations including the International Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation-Carolinas Network, the National Democratic Institute, and the North Carolina Bar Association. She is also active in the Raleigh community, serving on the board of directors of Note in the Pocket and on Haven House Services’ fundraising and event committees, among others.
Presentations and Publications
- (Almost) Everything you Wanted to Know About Executory Contracts, American Bar Association, Fall Meeting, Chicago, October 2014
- How College Sports Agents Become Felons, USLAW, Spring/Summer 2014
- Once Bitten, Twice Shy – Restructuring Payment of Past Due Accounts to Avoid Bankruptcy Preference Liability, USLAW, Fall/Winter 2012
Civic and Professional Activities
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation-Carolinas Network, Board of Directors, Treasurer, 2015-Present
- National Democratic Institute, 2017 – Present
- Note in the Pocket, Board of Directors, Strategic Planning Committee Chair, 2016 – Present
- Haven House Services, Fundraising Committee, 2010 – Present
- North Carolina Bar Association – Bankruptcy Section, Council Member, 2018 – Present
- North Carolina Bar Association – Bankruptcy Section Sponsorship Committee Chair, 2019-Present
- Michigan State University College of Law, Alumni Mentor, 2007 – Present
- Legal Aid of North Carolina, Volunteer, 2008 – Present
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Raleigh, 2015
- North Carolina Bar Association – Bankruptcy Section Pro Bono Committee Co-Chair, 2017-20019
- North Carolina Creditors’ Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2015 – 2018
- HopeLine, Inc., Board of Directors and Treasurer, 2013 – 2016
Honors and Awards
- Named to Triangle Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 List, 2019
- Business North Carolina magazine's Legal Elite Top Lawyer, Bankruptcy
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights, 2013 – 2017
- National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, “Next Generation” Honoree and Participant, 2013
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented financial institutions in bankruptcy, collection, and foreclosure matters and in all phases of the workout and restructuring process
- Represented financial institutions, alternative finance companies, small businesses, and individual parties in defense of preference and fraudulent transfer litigation in bankruptcy courts across the country
- Represented student loan lenders and servicers in bankruptcy adversary proceedings across the country
- Represented unsecured creditors’ committees in Chapter 11 bankruptcies in North Carolina
- Represented a variety of corporations and small businesses in state and federal courts involving lien priority disputes, UCC issues, and contract litigation