Henry Grimball has tried more than 250 cases in the state and federal systems in his more than 40 years of practice as a trial attorney.
His clients include multinational corporations and major national companies, including a variety of manufacturers and insurers. Henry’s practice is focused primarily in the areas of commercial litigation, insurance law, product liability law, premises liability and appellate law. He has handled more than 30 appeals to the South Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of South Carolina and to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in Richmond.
While most of his clients are defendants, Henry has also represented claimants in personal injury, insurance bad faith, tax and medical malpractice actions. Commercial litigation clients include a multinational corporation he has represented for the last 10 years in a multimillion-dollar intellectual property dispute.
Henry has handled product liability cases involving industrial machinery, electrical equipment, automobiles, kerosene heaters and other heating equipment, and construction tools. He provides advice and handles suits involving complex insurance issues and has handled a wide variety of premises liability personal injury claims for both claimants and defendants. He is currently engaged in the defense of car dealerships in a class action with a nine-figure exposure.
- Bar Associations: South Carolina Bar Association, House of Delegates, 1982-2000
- Defense Research Institute; Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, 1981- Present
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association, 1974- Present
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 1994, Diplomat, 1999
- City of Charleston, Council Member, 1975-1982
- Charleston Library Society, President, 2006-2008
- County of Charleston, Assistant County Attorney, 1982-1997
- Historic Charleston Foundation, Trustee, Nine Years; Kanuga Conference Center, Board of Visitors, 1996-1999
- Landmark Masonic Lodge, Master, 1976
- Preservation Society of Charleston, Past President
- St. Michael’s Episcopal Church:
- Vestryman, 1975-1977
- Solicitor, 1995-Present
- Licensed Lay Reader, 1999-Present
- Society of the Cincinnati of the State of South Carolina, President, 2006-2008
- The Best Lawyers in America: Lawyer of the Year
- Super Lawyers
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Obtained plaintiff’s verdict of $3.1 million dollars in a bad faith insurance case involving a claim over a $95,000 life policy.
- Sustained on appeal dismissal of unfair trade practices class action involving a claim exceeding $13 million dollars against a car dealership.
- Negotiated settlements in excess of $6 million dollars on behalf of a claimant in separate medical malpractice cases brought against her surgeon and assisting third-party.
- Represented insureds in hundreds of personal injury claims resulting from automobile and train wrecks, slip and falls, electrocutions, and product failures.
- Represented a defendant in a series of multimillion-dollar intellectual property cases, all resulting in summary judgments for the client