Emma is a solicitor specialising in public sector projects, information law and public procurement law. She advises a range of public and private organisations, in particular: educational institutions, local authorities, Central Government departments and transport operating companies.
Emma provides specialist information law advice, advising clients on their rights, restrictions and duties when seeking or handling information under the Data Protection Act 1998, Freedom of Information Act 2000, Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and a wide variety of other information legislation. She has particular expertise in helping clients interpret statutory powers and obligations in relation to information disclosures, and also drafts contractual terms and data sharing agreements to govern transfers of data.
On public procurement matters, she provides procedural and strategic advice to private and public sector bodies on below-threshold and regulated procurements. She helps bidders and authorities run and participate in compliant, productive procurements and to manage procurement challenges. Her FOI specialism means she can provide expert advice on complex requests for procurement information. She has undertaken a number of detailed procurement audits for projects subject to European Union grant funding.
Emma also drafts and negotiates the contractual documents related to public sector procurement exercises both large and small.
Emma trained and qualified at the firm. She has also undertaken secondments to a large local authority and a major retail bank where she gained invaluable in-house experience, advising on large scale projects and drafting a wide variety of commercial contracts. She has written practice notes and articles published in Westlaw Insight and in the Freedom of Information Journal, co-presented workshops at the Annual Freedom of Information Conference and co-authors the firm’s Procurement Update.
- Durham University on the procurement of a contractor to design, build, operate and maintain new college accommodation and related facilities, including advice on the procurement documents (including contracts) and the competitive dialogue process from start to finish.
- The Department of Communities and Local Government conducting independent procurement audits in relation to projects procured by recipients of European Union grant funding.
- NHS Digital on complex information governance issues including advice on statutory powers, Directions made under the Health and Social Care Act 2012, and data sharing arrangements
- A large number of organisations including Post Office Limited, various schools (maintained, academies and independent), colleges and registered providers on complex requests for information under the DPA, FOIA and the EIR, including the application of statutory exemptions
- A private sector vehicle rental company on its conduct of a procurement for high value specialist vehicles, and drafting template procurement documents for future use.