Lisa Bondurant is a tenacious litigator, a quick thinker and an effective communicator. Her clients choose Lisa to be their ally and develop their strategy in litigation involving complex insurance matters. For decades, Lisa has been a sought-after leader in life insurance as well as ERISA benefits litigation.
Over her 30+ year career, Lisa has represented multinational insurance and financial services companies in state and federal courts across the country. Her clients include some of the nation’s largest insurance companies, and her experience includes liability and coverage disputes under a myriad of policies and products. She handles matters involving ERISA benefit and fiduciary liability life and disability claims. Lisa represents employers in claims under ERISA and the Americans with Disability Act. She also represents employers and insurers in cases involving bad faith and extra-contractual liability. Lisa has become a go-to litigator for cases to be mediated or arbitrated.
Lisa has published extensively on insurance, financial services and ERISA matters. She has been a frequent speaker on those topics at seminars, including the ALI-ABA Conferences on Insurance Industry and Financial Services Litigation, ERISA Litigation Conferences and the Life, Health and Disability Seminar of the Defense Research Institute.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Advises numerous multinational life insurance companies in litigation involving coverage determinations, claim litigation, agent and broker liability, and bad faith and extra-contractual claims.
- Counsels employers, plan sponsors, third party administrators and insurers on pension and welfare claims pursuant to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA).
- Prevailed in a motion for summary judgment for a national insurance company on claims relating to the funding of a defined benefit plan, including fraud, conversion, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, reformation and punitive damages.
- Prevailed on summary judgment and on appeal in numerous ERISA cases in district and appellate courts of the Fourth Circuit, Sixth Circuit and Eleventh Circuit.
- Successfully arbitrated a significant dispute between an insurance company and a broker over commissions alleged to be due for the sale of corporate owned life insurance (COLI).