Lisa Bondurant is a tenacious litigator, a quick thinker and an effective communicator. Her clients choose Lisa to be their ally and develop their strategy in litigation involving complex insurance matters. For decades, Lisa has been a sought-after leader in life insurance as well as ERISA benefits litigation.
Over her 30+ year career, Lisa has represented multinational insurance and financial services companies in state and federal courts across the country. Her clients include some of the nation’s largest insurance companies, and her experience includes liability and coverage disputes under a myriad of policies and products. She handles matters involving ERISA benefit and fiduciary liability life and disability claims. Lisa represents employers in claims under ERISA and the Americans with Disability Act. She also represents employers and insurers in cases involving bad faith and extra-contractual liability. Lisa has become a go-to litigator for cases to be mediated or arbitrated.
Lisa has published extensively on insurance, financial services and ERISA matters. She has been a frequent speaker on those topics at seminars, including the ALI-ABA Conferences on Insurance Industry and Financial Services Litigation, ERISA Litigation Conferences and the Life, Health and Disability Seminar of the Defense Research Institute.
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section and Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section (Life Insurance Committee, past chair; Health and Disability Committee; Employee Benefits Committee)
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- ALIC is a premier organization providing scholarship on the legal issues challenging life insurance companies, combined with fellowship of in-house and outside counsel for professional and personal growth.
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Atlanta Lawyers Club
- Defense Research Institute (Life, Health, and Disability Committee, past chair)
- DRI is the leading organization of civil defense attorneys and in-house counsel, providing resources and tools for attorneys who provide high-quality, balanced and excellent service to their clients and corporations, including those in the insurance sector.
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Past chair of the Insurance and Reinsurance Committee.
- IADC serves a distinguished membership of 2,500+ corporate and insurance defense counsel and insurance executives by providing leadership in many areas of legal reform and professional development.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-author: Pending Litigation Involving The Affordable Care Act, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, International Association of Defense Counsel, August 2013
- Co-author: Employee Benefits - Do They Vest? What are the Consequences?, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, International Association of Defense Counsel, February 2012
- Constitutional Challenges to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee Newsletter, International Association of Defense Counsel, March 2011
- Standard of Review and Discovery after Glenn: The Effect of the Glenn Standard of Review on the Role of Discovery in Cases Involving Conflicts of Interest, International Association of Defense Counsel, Business Litigation Committee Newsletter, October 2009
- Evolving Insurance Challenges in Opioid Litigation at the 2018 International Association of Defense Counsel (ADC) Annual Meeting, July 2018.
- Wurtz v. Rawlings: Preemption, Remedies, and Subrogation. American Conference Institute, Chicago, IL, April 13 - 14, 2015
- How to Prepare Corporate Witnesses for a Deposition - DRI - Life, Health, Disability and ERISA, Washington, DC, April 15-17, 2015
- Hot Topics and Affordable Care, ERISA and Other Life Health Disability Issues - Issues That Arise in ERISA Litigation. IADC Mid-Winter Meeting, February 8-9, 2014
- The New Age of Appropriate Equitable Relief: Assessing the State of Affairs after Cigna v. Amara and U.S. Airways v. McCutcheon. American Conference Institute, New York, New York, January 23-24, 2014
- Ethical Issues That Arise In ERISA Litigation. ACI ERISA Litigation, October 25, 2013
- PPACA - The Supreme Court Has Spoken - Did the Election Change All That? 2013 National CLE Conference
- A Comparative Look at the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. DRI, April 27, 2012
- Plan Sponsor and Service Providers. ACI ERISA Litigation, American Conference Institute, New York, New York, October 20-21, 2011
- Constitutional Challenges to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, International Association of Defense Counsel 2011 Annual Meeting, Whistler, British Columbia, July 9-14, 2011
- Key ERISA Litigation Decisions 2010-2011, ALI-ABA Financial Services and Litigation Conference, Washington, D.C., May 5-6, 2011
- ACI ERISA Litigation, American Conference Institute, San Francisco, California, April 13-15, 2011
- 2nd Annual Forum on Defending and Managing ERISA Litigation, American Conference Institute, New York, New York, October 19-21, 2010
- ERISA Survey of the Federal Circuits - A Practitioner's Guide to Emerging Issues in the Fourth and Eleventh Circuits, American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, San Francisco, California, August 6, 2010
- Recent Decisions in ERISA Benefits Litigation, ALI-ABA Financial Services and Litigation Conference, Chicago, Illinois, July 15-16, 2010
- Co-Chair of Litigating Disability Insurance Claims, and Moderator of In-House Counsel Panel: Preventing, Managing and Defending Disability Insurance Claims, American Conference Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, June 23-24, 2010
- Moderator of In-House Think Tank on Containing Costs, Preventing and Managing Litigation & Using the Claims Review Process to Set Up, Control and Strengthen the Defense, Employee Benefit Plans Conference, American Conference Institute, New York, New York, May 24-25, 2010
- Arbitration vs. Litigation: Which is Best? The Association of Life Insurance Counsel, Braselton, Georgia, May 22-25, 2010
- 50th Anniversary Presentation, DRI Life, Health and Disability, Chicago, Illinois, April 28-30, 2010
- ERISA Litigation Conference, American Conference Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 19-20, 2009
- Update on ERISA Litigation, ALI-ABA Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, July 9-10, 2009
- Attorney's Fees under ERISA, American Conference Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, June 15-16, 2009
- From Pilot Life and Firestone to Glenn-Where are We Now?, ALI-ABA Webcast, December 2, 2008
- Disability Insurance Hot Topics, DRI Life, Health and Disability Seminar, San Francisco, California, April 24, 2008
- Update on ERISA Litigation, ALI-ABA Conference, Scottsdale, Arizona, April 3-4, 2008
- Update on ERISA Litigation, ALI-ABA Conference, Scottsdale, Arizona, February 14-16, 2008
Honors and Awards
- Received the Best Lawyers™ Insurance Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" award in Atlanta, 2020
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Insurance Law, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Litigation – ERISA, Litigation – Insurance, 2009 – Present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer View Rating
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Advises numerous multinational life insurance companies in litigation involving coverage determinations, claim litigation, agent and broker liability, and bad faith and extra-contractual claims.
- Counsels employers, plan sponsors, third party administrators and insurers on pension and welfare claims pursuant to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA).
- Prevailed in a motion for summary judgment for a national insurance company on claims relating to the funding of a defined benefit plan, including fraud, conversion, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, reformation and punitive damages.
- Prevailed on summary judgment and on appeal in numerous ERISA cases in district and appellate courts of the Fourth Circuit, Sixth Circuit and Eleventh Circuit.
- Successfully arbitrated a significant dispute between an insurance company and a broker over commissions alleged to be due for the sale of corporate owned life insurance (COLI).