David is a partner and head of the firm’s transport and infrastructure sector; this comprises rail, bus, ports and smart cities.
David has a particular interest in the rail sector. He advises on a full range of rail related contracts and regulatory issues. In particular, he specialises in passenger rail franchise bids, Railways Act transfer schemes, rolling stock procurement and leasing, rail infrastructure projects and regulatory work. He regularly contributes to Rail Connect.
Following outstanding client feedback David was named as a star lawyer in the ‘Acritas Stars’ global database for 2018.
- GT Railway on its £200m-plus purchase 25 six car electric multiple units from Siemens for use on Great Northern suburban services. The trains were financed by new rolling stock lessor, Rock Rail, with investment by SL Capital and Aviva
- London Midland on its direct award franchise agreement until October 2017
- Govia on its successful franchise bid for the Thameslink Southern and Great Northern franchise (TSGN). The TSGN franchise is the largest rail franchise that has ever been led in the United Kingdom. We advised on the legal strategy, the franchise agreement, the rolling stock and the transfer scheme to acquire First Capital Connect’s business
- Southern Railway on a new order of 108 Bombardier Class 387 vehicles for Gatwick Express services and the financing of a further 116 vehicles. David led the team advising on the original procurement competition strategy/negotiated the legal documentation
- Keolis and Eurostar in relation to their joint bid for the Intercity East Coast franchise. The team advised on all aspects of the bid, including legal strategy, due diligence, franchise agreement population, and competition
- Southeastern on its 4 year direct award franchise agreement with the Department for Transport. This included advising on the legal strategy for the 4 year deal and negotiating the franchise agreement with the Department for Transport
- Southeastern on the introduction of Oyster Pay As You Go to Greater London Railway stations.
“Clients say that David Rewcastle "cares as much about the outcome as we do; he wants to get the best he can for our business." His recent work includes advising Southeastern Railway on its direct award franchise agreement with the Department for Transport”
"David Rewcastle is praised by clients as "a towering intellect with a measured and calm approach, even in the most trying circumstances." He has expertise in rolling stock and franchising matters, and is praised by sources as "a clear expert in this area
“[The firm’s] ‘highly regarded’ team advised Govia on its successful bid for the Thameslink Southern and Great Northern Franchise (TSGN), and advised on the related rolling stock arrangements. It acted for Southern Railway and Govia Thameslink Railway on an order of 108 carriages for Gatwick Express, and the financing of a further 116 carriages. Department head David Rewcastle is ‘outstanding’…”