David is head of the firm's Transport Sector, advising on a full range of rail related contracts and regulatory issues. In particular, he specialises in rail franchise bids, transfer schemes, rolling stock procurement/leasing and rail infrastructure projects.
Recent examples of experience include advising:
- Southeastern in relation to the award of the original franchise and subsequent direct award franchise agreements, including the direct award entered into in March 2020
- Southeastern and Govia Thameslink Railway on the emergency measures/emergency measures recovery agreements entered into as a result of the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Govia Thameslink Railway in respect of the major disruption to passenger services following the introduction of the new timetable in May 2018
- London Midland on the handover of the West Midlands franchise
- Govia on its bids for the South Eastern, West Midlands and Northern franchises
- Govia on the successful rail franchise bids for TSGN, Southeastern, Southern and London Midland and the subsequent mobilisation for these franchises including the transfer schemes, asset transfers, station/depot/rolling stock leasing, licensing, TUPE transfer, pensions and other aspects of mobilisation
- Govia Thameslink Railway on a deal worth over £200 million to purchase and lease Class 717 vehicles for the Moorgate line
- Southern on a deal worth over £300 million in respect of 108 Bombardier Class 387 vehicles for Gatwick Express services and the financing of a further 116 Class 387 vehicles.
"David is absolutely brilliant. He is extremely knowledgeable, well respected in the industry, and his commercial knowledge is second to none."
"He is very responsive, always willing to make himself available and very helpful."
'David Rewcastle has excellent availability, provides balanced advice, and clearly expresses views, understands commercial dynamics.'
'Commercial, knowledgeable, versatile, and friendly.'
"He doesn't just look at things from a legal angle, but from a commercial side too."
"One of the most experienced lawyers in the rail sector."