Chris specialises in the commercial aspects of energy projects. He spent six years in the energy and projects team at Herbert Smith, advising a range of investment banks and public sector clients in relation to a wide range of issues connected with the UK electricity and gas markets. Since joining the firm in 2006, Chris has specialised in advising renewable energy projects.
Chris is Chair of the RenewableUK Offshore Wind Delivery Group and Vice-Chair of the Renewable Economics and Markets Group.
Examples of experience include advising:
- The Department of Energy and Climate Change on the terms of the "Back-Stop PPA" as part of the new Electricity Market Reform package. This agreement provides a guaranteed route to market as it allows renewable projects to have a guaranteed purchaser for the power they generate
- Ofgem on the latest stage of the evolution of the model for the development of offshore transmission assets connecting offshore renewables projects with the existing onshore network
- A number of developers on the introduction of the new Contracts for Difference support mechanism, including advising on eligibility, the terms of the contract and bidding strategies
- One of the "Big 6" suppliers on the changes needed to their long term PPAs following the introduction of Contracts for Difference
- A large number of developers on electricity trading, Government support mechanisms and grid connection issues relating to the development, financing and sale of onshore and offshore renewable generation projects
- A number of major electricity consumers on their power and gas supply arrangements, the installation of on-site generation assets and energy efficiency measures
- RWE Npower on the £200m disposal of two energy supply businesses to Telecom Plus and the associated commercial arrangements relating to that transaction
- A major retailer on the potential arrangements to become a white label energy supplier and the licensing and industry document complications of adopting that type of structure
- A number of developers, suppliers and consumers on the arrangements for the supply of electricity from on-site and off-site generation projects "directly" to the consumer
- One of the "Big 6" generators on their core flexible supply agreements with key industrial and commercial customers.
"He is a very nice guy to work with and he has an encyclopedic knowledge of energy regulation."
"Easy to work with and gives pragmatic, no-nonsense advice."