Cathy Hampton is a member of Womble Bond Dickinson’s GCSolutions team, which provides affordable on-demand, scalable legal services to corporate law departments and small and medium companies. With more than 25 years of experience, primarily as in-house counsel, Cathy has led a wide range of successful transactional, corporate, regulatory and litigation matters across multiple industries.
Cathy serves as an Independent Director and Sales Committee Chair for Ameritech Facility Services, a renovation and construction industry leader, with offices in Georgia, Florida, Texas and Arizona.
As former Chief Legal Officer for the City of Atlanta, Cathy led an 85-member Law Department that delivered public finance, litigation, real estate, licensing, employment, contract administration, procurement, economic development and commercial contracts services for elected officials and 8000 employees. Clients ranged from a water utility to the world’s busiest airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Her many accomplishments include the sale of Underground Atlanta and Fort McPherson, the development of Ponce City Market, Porsche Cars North America headquarters and Mercedes-Benz Stadium, standing up the city’s first Office of Film and Entertainment, spearheading historic pension and water reforms and extending the airport lease agreement with Delta Air Lines for 20 more years.
Cathy served as Chief Legal Officer at publicly-traded RARE Hospitality, then owner and operator of 322 Capital Grille and LongHorn Steakhouse restaurants. There, she drove corporate governance, compliance, crisis management, regulatory, general corporate and securities law, including SEC reporting for a company of over 20000 employees.
Cathy also served as Vice President and Chief Transactional Counsel for EarthLink, Inc., a Fortune 1000 Internet service provider with six business units and eight international subsidiaries. In that role, she negotiated and implemented commercial transactions, managed the company’s intellectual property portfolio, was responsible for all legal needs of subsidiary PeoplePC, and led multiple international matters in Europe, Asia, the Caribbean, Canada and Latin America.
Earlier in-house positions in sports and entertainment gave Cathy valuable experience in corporate governance and regulatory matters; licensing, production, marketing, sponsorship and advertising agreements; and both domestic and international trademark portfolio management.
Cathy began her legal career on the International Finance Team of a large New York international law firm.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member, State Bars, Georgia, New York, District of Columbia
- Member, Georgia State Bar Committee on Professionalism
- Corporate Counsel Section Chair, State Bar of Georgia
- Federal Communications Commission, Intergovernmental Advisory Committee
- Leadership Atlanta Class of 2003
- Atlanta Lawyers Club
- Board of Directors, Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Atlanta Women’s Foundation, Economic Justice Chair
- Board of Directors, Women’s Resource Center to End Domestic Violence
- Board of Directors, VOX Teen Communications
Honors and Awards
- Named Outstanding General Counsel for a Large Organization, Atlanta Business Chronicle, 2015
- Honored as an In-House Legal Department of the Year, Fulton County Daily Report, 2015
- Distinguished Alumna for the National Alumnae Association of Spelman College, Atlanta Chapter, 2016
- The Carter Center’s Women’s History Month Honoree, 2014
- Named to Georgia’s Most Powerful and Influential Attorneys, Women Looking Ahead Magazine, 2011