Logan Buck concentrates his intellectual property law practice on patent preparation and prosecution in the fields of biotechnology and other life sciences.
In addition to domestic and international patent prosecution, Logan counsels clients regarding patent portfolio management and provides legal opinions concerning patentability, invalidity and freedom to operate. He also performs due diligence investigations and advises clients on strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities to mitigate risk and remedy issues related to intellectual property in the context of a range of transactions. Logan is experienced with post-grant proceedings in the US and Europe and developing strategies for post-grant opposition and defense.
Drawing on a strong scientific background, Logan focuses his work in the life sciences, particularly including gene editing, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, agricultural biotechnology, genomics, genetics, gene therapy, diagnostics and biomarkers, food science, and biofuel technologies.
Logan uses the latest advancements in patent law to develop and implement creative legal and scientific strategies for his clients. By combining an enthusiastic knowledge of domestic and international patent law and strategy, Logan brings a global perspective to life science companies active in the United States, Europe, Asia, South America and Africa.
Civic and Professional Activities
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Inventor Assistance Program chair
- NC LEAP Steering Committee Board
- Wheels 4 Hope
- Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
- Oak City Outreach Center
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Prepared and prosecuted domestic and foreign patent applications related to microbial biotechnology, agricultural biotechnology, gene editing, cancer immunotherapy, food science, immunology, inflammation, transgenic plants and plant breeding.
- Represented small, mid-sized and large pharmaceutical companies, including assisting with IP strategy and prosecution from product development to market launch.
- Developed patent strategy and provided legal advice for companies using gene editing technologies, including CRISPR and other endonuclease platforms.
- Managed large patent portfolios related to human immunotherapy, vaccines, allergy treatment, novel antibodies, and compositions and methods related to cancer treatment and prevention.
- Represented major agricultural biotechnology company in preparing and prosecuting patent applications and providing patentability, invalidity and freedom to operate opinions.
- Patent counsel for several non-US law firms in connection with the prosecution of patent applications in the US Patent and Trademark Office.