Legal developments surrounding the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) happened at a breakneck pace last year. With that in mind, the firm’s TCPA Defense Force has reflected on the past year and compiled a helpful video countdown spotlighting the ten most important TCPA developments that could impact your business. The trends and developments discussed in the video are important reminders for in-house counsel and compliance officers at any company that makes autodialed calls or sends marketing text messages.
Spoilers ahead – so look away if you don’t want to know the topics addressed in this video!
This year’s top 10 countdown, includes the following significant developments from 2018:
- Record Breaking Fines (John Nelson)
- Eighth Circuit Holds TCPA Plaintiff Lacks Standing (Erin Kubota)
- Stopping Bad Robocalls Act and The Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence (TRACED) Act (Ernesto Mendieta)
- Multiple courts uphold text “STOP” to opt out (Tania Seanpanah)
- Kavanaugh Supreme Court confirmation (Shane Micheil)
- Reassigned numbers database (Susan Nikdel)
- Text messages classified as “Information Service” (Puja Amin)
- Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Cases Involving Agency Deference (Josh Anderson)
- ATDS Interpretation Debate (Nadia Adams)
- D.C. Circuit Court Decision (Nicole Su)
TCPA Defense Force Chair David Carter and partner Artin Betpera also contributed to the Top 10 2018 TCPA News Stories Video Countdown.
Read the full blog post on the TCPA Defense Force blog.
Also, check out last year's Top 10 2017 TCPA News Stories Video Countdown.