TYSONS, VA.—Thousands of children across Fairfax County struggle with food insecurity, particularly over the weekends when they can’t eat at school. In response, Womble Bond Dickinson once again is holding a Community Food Drive to support local non-profit organization Food for Others. Food for Others provides “Power Packs” of healthy weekend meals and snacks to thousands of Fairfax County kids every Friday.
This year’s Community Food Drive takes place from 3:30-7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 5 at the Caboose Commons Brewery in the Mosaic District. Womble Bond Dickinson volunteers will be there to accept food donations, and the event also will include snacks, cocktails, music, and yard games, and raffle prizes.
All food donations are welcome, though here are the most needed items:
· Fresh fruits (oranges, apples, bananas, tomatoes, avocados, grapes, berries)
- Fresh vegetables (cucumbers, celery, peppers, lettuce, eggplant)
- Canned chili
- Canned tomato products (crushed, peeled, diced, etc.), 4oz – 1lb
- Canned meat (chicken, beef, turkey, or seafood), 2oz – 15oz
- Rice, 16oz packages
- Spaghetti sauce, 14oz – 1lb (ideally in cans instead of glass)
- Canned fruit (packed in fruit juice instead of syrup) 11oz – 20oz
- Dried or canned beans (black, kidney, pinto, etc.)\
- Canned pasta
- Fruit juice (100% juice) 32oz – 64oz.
Another option for donations is via the Food for Others Amazon Wish List . Simply choose the shipping address “Vincenza Githens, Food for Others’ Gift Registry Address” at checkout, type “Womble Food Drive – Your Company’s Name” on the Gift Message and Save Gift Options. The orders will be delivered directly to Food for Others, and they will bring them in the truck to the Community Food Drive.
Last year’s event raised over 2,500 pounds of food. Key supporters of this year’s Community Food Drive includeAndersen Tax, Atlantic Union Bank, Booz Allen Hamilton, Citrin Cooperman, Edge, Expense Reduction Analysts, Marsh & McLennan Agency, The McLean Group, Merito Group, Republic Capital Access , Tysons Partnership, UBS and Unanet.