Ginny Barnhart has more than 30 years of experience in litigating complex commercial and class action cases in federal and state courts and in arbitration forums across the nation. She has represented regional and national banks, credit unions, lenders, credit card issuers and servicers in the defense of RESPA, TILA, HOEPA, FDCPA, FCRA, ECOA, TCPA, FHA and EFTA suits, state consumer protection claims, UCC disputes, CARD Act claims, and conversion, breach of fiduciary duty, Ponzi scheme and undue influence claims. Ginny also litigates construction, business and government contract disputes, and represents both businesses and individuals in employment and civil rights cases in federal and state courts and administrative forums, including EEOC, ADA, ADEA, FLSA, state and federal wage and hour claims and retirement benefits disputes. In addition, Ginny advises clients on employment and contractual matters.
Prior to joining Womble Bond Dickinson, Ginny built a strong litigation, transactional and advisory practice at Treanor Pope & Hughes, and served as the appointed County Attorney for Baltimore County, Maryland, where she acted as chief legal advisor to the County Executive, County Council, the County Board of Education and all County agencies.
In the community, Ginny designs and facilitates spiritual programs and retreats for a local non-profit and is an avid sailor.
Civic and Professional Activities
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association, Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections
- Baltimore City Bar Association
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- Well for the Journey, Inc., Facilitator and Retreat Leader
Honors and Awards
Super Lawyers Honoree in the fields of Business Litigation, Class Action/Mass Torts, Employment & Labor, Maryland Super Lawyer magazine (Thomson Reuters), 2013 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Defeated class certification and mortgage borrower claims in ECOA actions relating to loan modification procedures.
- Defeated class certification and borrower claims in FCRA suits involving challenges to credit reporting practices and the acquisition of credit reports.
- Successfully defended class action claims relating to affidavit signing practices.
- Successfully defended and resolved class action and borrower claims involving the origination and servicing of residential mortgage loans under REPSA, TILA, HOEPA, ECOA and FHA.
- Successfully defended and resolved class action and individual consumer claims involving the origination and collection of vehicular retail installment contracts.
- Successfully defended class action and cardholder claims under the EFTA and CARD Act.
- Successfully defended and resolved numerous wage and hour, executive compensation, FLSA and discrimination claims for local and regional employers.
- Successfully defended and resolved Ponzi scheme disputes for banks and investment firms.
- Arbitrated credit card and government contract/construction disputes for national and regional businesses.
- Led compliance audit of loan origination practices and disclosures for large credit union.