Tres guides captive insurance clients in corporate formation, insurance regulatory and day-to-day governance issues. Tres served as a principal drafter of Delaware’s Revised Captive Insurance Company Act and helped form the Delaware Captive Insurance Association.
In addition to his captive insurance representation, Tres also advises corporate trustees in capital markets transactions and provides outside general counsel services to businesses in energy services and other industries.
Tres started his legal career in private practice, and then held various in-house commercial and general counsel roles with international power generation and industrial equipment manufacturers and service providers as well as a specialty build-to-print manufacturer. He also served for three years in the US Army and for seven years in the US Army Reserves.
- Delaware State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Co-led, on behalf of seller, the sale of a leading U.S.-based captive management company to a private equity firm, guiding seller through all phases of the sale.
- Served in an outside general counsel role for subsidiary of Fortune 500 utility company providing operations and maintenance services to owners of more than 12 electric cogeneration plants.
- Advised Delaware bank on contractual obligations and potential business risks in connection with restructuring $1.3 billion aircraft financing transaction in Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings Chapter 11 bankruptcy and, due to deal’s novel terms, developed financial model used by bank, as trustee, to administer restructured transaction.
- Counseled Director of Licensing on contractual obligations and risks under license and technical assistance agreement and negotiated termination of agreement (and denial of continuing use of technology agreement) at end of 25- year term with a Korean licensee
- Favorably settled year-long multi-million dollar dispute under several related contracts with federal government customer (and its US Department of Justice attorney) within weeks after assessing risks, advising on options and persuading management on course of action taken.