Clients value Tom for his strategic insight and judgment in helping them resolve difficult workplace issues.
Tom is a co-founding partner of the firm’s Northern Virginia office and led the firm’s Labor and Employment practice for many years. Throughout his 30-year career, he has represented employers in a broad spectrum of employment matters, including wrongful termination, wage and hour, and discrimination. He is known particularly for his employee defection work, including drafting and enforcing non-competes and other restrictive covenants, and litigating related contract, fiduciary duty, trade secret, tortious interference, conspiracy and unfair competition disputes.
Tom’s clients include numerous technology and government contracting companies, which are indigenous to Northern Virginia; national companies, such as State Farm and Centex; and international companies doing business in the United States and abroad.
Tom has long been recognized as a leading employment lawyer, including by Chambers, Best Lawyers in America, International Who’s Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers and Martindale-Hubbell. He is also regularly asked to speak on employee defection and other employment law topics by law and industry groups, including the American Bar Association, Association for Corporate Counsel and the Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association.
Presentations and Publications
- Employee Defection and the Multi-jurisdictional Employer: Drafting and Enforcing Non-competes in a Disparate Legal Environment, Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association, Tysons Corner, VA, 2011
- 30(b)(6) Depositions, Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association, Tysons Corner, VA, 2011
- Employee Defection and the Multi-jurisdictional Employer: Practical Advice for In-house Counsel on Using Non-competes, Association for Corporate Counsel, Tysons Corner, VA, 2008
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets, American Bar Association Committee on Employee Rights and Responsibilities Midwinter Meeting, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, 2006
- Document Retention and Destruction: To Shred or Not to Shred, National Business Institute, Fairfax, VA, 2006
- Employment at Will: A State-by-State Survey, Virginia chapter, BNA, 2011
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer, Labor & Employment, Virginia, 2016 - 2018
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Employment Law - Management, Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2014 – Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2006 - 2018
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- International Who’s Who of Management Labour & Employment Lawyers, 2012-2015
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Defended an 8,000-employee global logistics company against an Iraq-based employee defection lawsuit involving multiple non-compete, tortious interference and other related claims in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Defended a Northern Virginia-based government contractor against an employee defection lawsuit involving multiple tortious interference, trade secret and other related claims in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Represented a Northern Virginia-based software company in preventing its former chief technology officer and other former employees from pirating its core operating software and taking its clients in a tortious interference trade secret, and business conspiracy action in Virginia state court.
- Defended an international corporate housing company against a tortious interference, unfair competition and declaratory judgment lawsuit in California state court, and against a multi-party non-compete, trade secret and tortious interference lawsuit in Ohio state court.
- Defended a 65,000-employee national insurance and financial services company against multiple discrimination and other employment lawsuits in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia, and Maryland state court.