*Previously Stephanie Yarbrough
Investigate South Carolina’s largest economic development deals of the past 20 years, and chances are Stephanie Yarbrough played a role in making them happen. One of the biggest assets she brings to clients is her familiarity with local and state decision-makers throughout the Southeast, and particularly in South Carolina, where Stephanie had previously served as the City of Charleston’s Director of Economic Development.
When the New York Times profiled Charleston’s economic development boom in 2017, Stephanie was one of the local leaders the Times turned to for insight.
Stephanie works closely with domestic and international companies seeking to expand or relocate operations to the Carolinas and the Southeastern United States.
Her efforts on behalf of clients have led to the creation of thousands of new jobs and billions of dollars in new investments.
She works with new and expanding businesses in identifying and negotiating all aspects of a complete incentive package, advocating before the proper entities during all phases of the incentive approval process and drafting all related documentation for Fee-in-Lieu of Tax Agreements, state grants, job tax credits, job development credits, utility grants and many other economic development incentives and grants. She advises clients in general tax and corporate matters.
- Author, Opportunity Zones Can Uplift Communities and Investors Alike, Area Development, 2019
- Author, SCEDA Bill is a Boon for South Carolina Job Development, Law360, November 13, 2018
- Author, The Team…and the Timing When Making a U.S. Location Decision, Area Development, 2018.
- Author, Why South Carolina Should Eliminate the Personal Income Tax, South Carolina Law Review, 2015.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Board of Directors, South Carolina Economic Developer’s Association
- Chair, SCEDA Legislative Committee
- Member, SCEDA Annual Conference Committee
- Board of Directors, South Carolina Aquarium
- Board of Directors, South Carolina Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- Board Vice-Chair
- Executive Committee
- Annual Conference Chair
- Board of Directors, Charleston Regional Development Alliance
- Former Board of Directors Member, South Carolina Venture Capital Authority
- Former Board of Directors Member, College of Charleston Alumnae Association
- Former Board of Directors Member, MUSC Children’s Hospital
- Former Board of Directors Member, Dee Norton Lowcountry Children's Center
- Graduate, Riley Diversity Leadership Institute of Furman University
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Strategic Plan Alumni Focus Group Member, College of Charleston
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion, 2019
- Named one of Charleston Business Magazine’s Legal Elite for 2018
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Economic Development Law, 2012-present
- “40 Under 40” selected by the Charleston Regional Business Journal
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
Sampling of recent transactions:
- Represented manufacturer and corporate headquarters project in largest life sciences announcement in the Lowcountry of South Carolina’s history;
- Represented a manufacturer in establishing a 1.5 million square foot manufacturing facility, creating more than 200 new jobs;
- Represented an Italian manufacturer in expanding its original investment and doubling size of its operations in South Carolina; and
- Represented a company locating a large manufacturing facility in South Carolina, creating several thousand new jobs and bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars in capital investment.