Sikander is a Solicitor in the London Insurance team – defending high value and complex claims against a wide range of professionals in the legal, financial, and construction industries – acting for many of the major insurers and professional firms. Sikander has over 4 years’ of legal experience focusing on dispute resolution plus 7 years’ experience in the commercial sector.
Although Sikander's main area of focus is Insurance, he has a wide range of legal experience. For instance, in Real Estate, and Banking and Property Litigation, Sikander managed high volume of banking and property claims while acting for lenders and receivers. This included repossession claims, receiver appointments, and advising lenders in relation to complying with legislation and financial services guidelines, including Treating Clients Fairly and COVID related guidelines. Sikander dealt with all stages of claims against defaulting borrowers, tenants, and trespassers, as well as all stages of receiver appointments, and facilitated the sale of repossessed properties through auctions or private sales. He also conducted due diligence and reviewed valuation reports before advising lenders on large secured lending transactions.
Examples of experience include:
- Working on a highly publicised complex commercial dispute while acting for lenders against professionals and insurers who purported to avoid PI policies. Attended Court of Appeal hearing where insurers appealed High Court judgment to recover more than £16 million indemnity from the insurers
- Acting for developer and lender on complex negligence claims against several construction professionals
- Defending a breach of sale contract claim against a developer in relation to practical completion defects in a multi-million pound development. Defended fraud claim on the same matter against developer company and its directors, quantity surveyor, and project manager, dealing with conspiracy to procure practical completion certificate
- Acting for a developer landlord on a breach of lease agreement claim for a commercial property where practical completion relied on monies received from tenants upon exchange
- Defending a class action suit against a lender, dealing with allegations of miscalculations of interest and alleged unfair contract terms arising from the standard variable rate provisions in the terms and conditions
- Working on a high-profile breach of sale contract claim. Undertook multijurisdictional investigations to ensure sufficient assets were available against which to enforce judgment, including liaising with external organisations such as asset tracing companies and forensic accounting experts
- Assisting on a debt claim against a lender and defended breach of contract claim against solicitor client. Drafted settlement offers, instructed mediator and counsel, prepared mediation bundles and attended mediation
- Acting for a lender on a complex repossession claim where the defendant borrower made fraud allegations against the lender
- Assisting on several breach of contract and negligence claims against solicitors and other professionals while acting for lenders. Considered litigation strategy to establish most effective and commercial route to settlement, through considering expert reports and interim applications, and attending hearings
- Working on all stages of costs claims through to settlement or costs order
- Acting for and advising a developer in investigating a copyright breach claim against an architect.
"During his short time working on my team at ..., Sikander proved himself to be an exceptionally keen and enthusiastic paralegal - full of charm and good humour, and with clear potential to grow into a very accomplished lawyer; I was (and remain) very impressed by him."
"...Provided all the correct information and really did a thorough job and made my part as simple as it could be... class A service in very challenging times."