Michael has over 20 years of IP and patent related experience bringing an ability to understand and explain complex technology from different perspectives to high-tech clients. As an IP and patent lawyer, he counsels clients in IP and patent related areas to achieve optimal legal and business results, including Patent Prosecution, Worldwide Patent Portfolio Management, Patent Litigation and Support, Patent Licensing, IPRs and Reexamination Proceedings.
Before returning to private practice, Michael worked in-house as an IP counsel for a cybersecurity company overseeing its patent litigation matters, including US District Court and European Patent Court litigation and protecting its patents in Inter Partes Review (IPR) and reexamination proceedings before the Patent Office. He also managed its world-wide cybersecurity patent portfolio, as well as the portfolio its mobile security applications, and assisted in all aspects of licensing its patents resulting in multi-million deals.
Michael has been a patent and IP litigator in Silicon Valley managing and providing litigation strategy as trial counsel for numerous proceedings at the International Trade Commission (ITC), and US District and State Courts involving an array of technologies including computer networking, integrated circuits and processes, and content distribution software. For instance, he has tried two patent jury trials and eight ITC hearings and lead counsel on two IPR proceedings and counsel on 47 IPR proceedings. He has prepared and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications for start-ups and Fortune 500 companies understanding their core innovation and products, managed worldwide patent portfolios for emerging high-tech companies, and provided patent opinions and analysis along with patent litigation support.
He was also a Patent Examiner at the PTO examining inventions the computer networking and software arts.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- PTAB Bar Association
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Supervised over 10+ patent litigations in U.S. and European courts seeking recovery of over $300mil, including 2 patent jury verdicts of over $45 million and settlements of $10.9 million.
- Managed and supervised day-to-day operations for 2 patent jury trials and 8 ITC investigations, including taking direct and cross examination of fact and expert witnesses.
- Lead counsel on IPRs including preparation of winning petition and analysis showing rare earth magnet patents invalid.
- Managed and counseled on 45+ IPR petitions with 75+% success rate in having petitions denied.
- Managed global patent portfolio of 50+ Cybersecurity patent assets.