Sarah’s work includes advising members of in-house legal and HR teams on a wide range of employment law issues. She has particular expertise in representing employers in Employment Tribunal proceedings, successfully defending clients in a variety of Employment Tribunal Claims, providing advocacy, in cases including e.g. sex, race and disability discrimination, redundancy and public interest disclosure. She also advises on disciplinary and grievance matters, equality and diversity issues and provides legal and tactical advice on handling issues of underperformance, absence and dismissals at all levels.
Sarah advises on all aspects of reorganisations, including redundancies, contracting in/out of services and acquisitions and disposals, and advising on redundancy and TUPE consultation with Trade Unions and staff.
She also takes responsibility for monitoring and analysing developments in employment legislation and case law, and in employment tribunal practice and procedure. She frequently coordinates and presents training sessions for HR teams and managers to help them to keep up to date with changes in the law. These training sessions have varied from regular employment law updates and sessions on emerging issues, to modular programmes of management training, full mock tribunal hearings, and masterclasses on complex areas of employment law.
- Acting for a national retail client in the defence of an employment tribunal claim for discrimination and victimisation brought against the company and five individual managers
- Conducting a full policy and strategy review for a large Housing Association client, and then delivering a programme of training to managers on how to implement the revised procedures
- Advising on the derecognition of a union for an international manufacturing client
- Presenting a masterclass on conducting disciplinary appeals to the board of a higher education institution
- Advising on a sensitive and potentially high profile disciplinary issue leading to termination and a settlement agreement for an international client.