Ruth specialises in environmental and health and safety law. She advises private, commercial and institutional clients on all aspects of regulatory law including compliance, enforcement proceedings, civil and criminal litigation.
Ruth provides advice focused on risk, regulation and reputation, on all aspects of regulatory law including environmental permitting, control of asbestos, waste, fire safety and contaminated land. She also advises on the health, safety and environmental issues associated with strategic projects such as the decommissioning and remediation of industrial sites and their subsequent re-development.
She has particular experience advising vendors, purchasers and investors on environmental risks arising from real estate and corporate transactions, often in relation to contaminated land regime.
Ruth also advises in relation to crisis management and regulatory investigations conducted by the Police, Health & Safety Executive, Environment Agency and Local Authorities, often dealing directly with Regulators on behalf of clients in relation to critical incident response and investigations. She also advises clients on interviews under caution and the full range of enforcement proceedings brought by the Environment Agency, Health and Safety Executive, Scottish Environmental Protection Agency and Care Quality Commission.
- Advising an international refining and chemicals company on the decommissioning, demolition and remediation of a petrochemicals facility. Ruth is currently advising the company on dealings with regulators including the Environment Agency, Local Authority and the Canal and River Trust
- Advising an multi-national manufacturer in relation to the sale of a former production site to a leading energy company for the development of facilities ancillary to a new power station. Ruth advised on the environment and safety aspects of the project including remediation obligations, engagement with regulators and environmental permitting requirements (including negotiations to obtain a temporary water discharge consent)
- Advising an large public sector client on the acquisition of land in central London. Site investigations identified contaminants of concern prior to completion and Ruth advised on environmental liability issues and remediation obligations pursuant to environmental and planning law
- Advising an international oil and gas company on its obligations under the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) Regulations 2014. This included advising on disaggregation from a parent company in order to allow the company additional flexibility to meet its obligations and continue to operate separate energy management policies to other group companies
- Advising a multi-national manufacturing business on HSE enforcement proceedings following a health and safety incident at a Top-tier COMAH site.