Dal is a seasoned litigator with extensive jury trial experience in complex cases. Because of his more than 35 years of courtroom experience representing product manufacturers, lenders and other public companies, Dal is a sought after advocate in “bet the company” litigation in both state and federal courts throughout the United States.
At the same time, Dal is sensitive to the rising costs of litigation and seeks to find resolutions short of trial that are consistent with his clients’ financial and business objectives. When litigation occurs, particularly large-scale, multi-district litigation, Dal utilizes effective management skills and litigation support services to increase efficiencies for his clients.
Dal is recognized as a leader in his profession and is ranked as one of the Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Product Liability Litigation and Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Georgia Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, The Piedmont Driving Club, 2007-2010
- Chairman, Board of Directors, The Frazer Center, 1995-1999
- United Way
- Treasurer, Atlanta Humane Society
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2016 – Present
- Received the Best Lawyers™ Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" award in Atlanta, 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Lead trial counsel for R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in landmark health care recovery action brought by 40 Missouri hospitals seeking reimbursement $455 million in costs allegedly incurred treating indigent smokers. After a six month trial, the jury returned a defense verdict.
- Lead trial counsel for R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in a one month trial brought by an individual smoker suffering from laryngeal cancer. Jury returned a defense verdict.
- Lead counsel for R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in more than 750 cases filed over 16 years in state court in Baltimore seeking to join claims against tobacco manufacturers with claims against asbestos manufacturers on the asbestos docket. Dal persuaded three separate trial judges to dismiss all 750 cases at the pleading stage and has successfully upheld those decisions through 11 appeals over 16 years.
- Trial counsel for R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company brought by an asbestos trust seeking reimbursement for $200 million in costs allegedly incurred treating asbestos exposed workers suffering from lung cancer and other respiratory diseases. After a two month trial, the jury deadlocked 11-1 in favor of the defense.
- Trial counsel for R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in cases brought by the States of Mississippi, Florida and Texas seeking reimbursement for billions of dollars in costs allegedly incurred treating smokers through the Medicaid program. These cases resolved before trial.