Paul is a partner in and head of the firm’s Oil and Gas Team. He has worked in the oil and gas industry for over 20 years and has in-house as well as private practice experience. Prior to joining the Firm, Paul was senior legal counsel for six years with Hess Corporation and, prior to that, spent a period on secondment to Shell.
Paul’s range of experience covers the full E&P cycle and includes licensing, concessions, production sharing contracts, joint ventures (including joint bidding agreements and joint operating agreements), development contracts, transportation, processing, marketing and sales as well as share/asset acquisitions and disposals and farm-out transactions. He has extensive experience both within the UKCS and internationally and has worked on projects in many overseas jurisdictions including Algeria, Azerbaijan, Brazil, Gabon, Ghana, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mauretania and Thailand.
Paul’s worked extensively from 2004 advising on the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan Pipeline project in Azerbaijan for BP and providing legal support for the upstream ACG fields in the Caspian Sea for which the BTC pipeline is the primary export route.
Paul has also worked on renewable energy projects, including wind farm, biomass and biofuels projects.
Paul is a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators and the International Bar Association. He is currently Vice-chair of the Oil and Gas Committee of the IBA.
Paul is recognised as a leader in the field of oil and gas by Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession.
- B.G. Group in relation to the negotiations on a revised Transportation, Processing and Operating Services Agreement for the Blake field and the subsequent sale of BG's field interest
- B.G. Group in relation to the development of the Jackdaw field, one of the largest undeveloped gas discoveries on the UK Continental Shelf
- Noble Energy in relation to corporate and asset disposals of Noble's entire North Sea interest portfolio
- E.O.G. Resources on the development of the Conwy project in Liverpool Bay, including negotiation of a Construction and Tie-in Agreement, Shutdown Compensation Agreement and Transportation and Processing Agreement
- Various North Sea operators on decommissioning arrangements for the decommissioning of North Sea infrastructure including advice on decommissioning security agreements in the context of field interest disposals and decommissioning and environmental indemnities.
- Chrysaor in its acquisition of the Shell North Sea portfolio in a deal valued in excess of US$3 billion.
- Elixir Petroleum in relation to the acquisition of a company holding shale gas permits in the Moselle basin, France
- B.P. as operator of the Azeri, Chirag, Guneshli fields in the Azerbaijan sector of the Caspian Sea in connection with operational and facility sharing agreements for the Sangachal terminal, onshore Azerbaijan
- The Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan Pipeline Company operated by BP on pipeline interconnection agreements, capacity rights, transportation agreements and other operational matters including a long term fuel gas supply agreement for the BTC pipeline pump stations
- MND Exploration and Production on its investment in three joint venture companies holding PSC interests in the Republic of Georgia
- Afren on separate farm-out transactions in relation to its Keta Block, offshore Ghana
- Hess in relation to the development of the El Gassi field, onshore Algeria.
"He has extensive experience working in the upstream oil and gas sector. Clients note: ‘He understands our requirements and he gives good, clear advice’."
Paul Stockley is an oil and gas practitioner who is "very knowledgeable and very easy to work with," interviewees report.
"He comes from a commercial legal background so he knows how to resolve disputes and get deals done. He can see the wood for the trees."