Orla was born in Ireland, educated in the US and EU, and worked for the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin and Washington, DC. As such, she brings a uniquely informed perspective to her global clients with EU and US operations.
Clients rely on Orla for guidance with issues in data security, online marketing and intellectual property. She works closely with her clients as a strategic business partner, investing her time to fully understand their unique needs – and the needs of their business and industry.
Orla helps clients manage cyber security and data privacy risks. She advises clients on the collection, use, sharing, and transfer of data across international borders, including compliance with the GDPR and the EU-US Privacy Shield. In the event of a data breach, she helps clients respond, mitigate and comply with data breach notification laws.
She regularly works in the area of online marketing and advertising – with a focus on social media. Orla reviews marketing campaigns and creates rules and disclosures for sweepstakes, contests and other promotions.
Orla also represents clients in a variety of technology transactions, including licensing and collaboration agreements, services and subscription agreements, confidentiality agreements, supply and distribution agreements, and other strategic commercial agreements.
- Unregulated Armed Conflict: Non-State Armed Groups, International Humanitarian Law, and Violence in Western Sahara, 37 N.C.J. Int'l L. & Com. Reg. 793 (2012)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- American Bar Association
- Pro Bono and Poverty Committee, Co-Chair, NCBA Young Lawyers Division
- Pro Bono Activities Committee, NCBA
- Pro Bono Committee, WCSR
NCBA IP Law Section 2013 Outstanding Achievement Pro Bono Award
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Managed a technology client’s response to a data breach affecting approximately 500 employees.
- Reviewed online and in-store sweepstakes, social media campaigns and marketing materials for a multinational consumer products company and trained employees on compliance with marketing laws.
- Seconded as an on-site, full-time in-house attorney to a large technology company for 4 months to review and negotiate customer agreements and to assist with daily transactional work.
- Closed a $150 million technology transaction involving the sale of an affiliate company, requiring extensive IP due diligence and close analysis of complex upstream licensing obligations.
- Audited a client’s software licenses, working closely with the IT team, to refute copyright infringement claims and negotiate a settlement agreement for substantially less than first demanded.