Nick is head of the commercial disputes team in our Leeds office. He has extensive experience of High Court litigation and arbitrations in England as well as mediations and ADR. He has acted for clients in many disputes with an international element involving legal proceedings in jurisdictions such as Germany, France, South Korea, Spain, North America, Canada, Italy and the Cayman Islands.
Nick’s client base combines global and national corporates with regional businesses with a focus on Yorkshire and the North of England. He also acts for a number of local authorities and NHS-related bodies.
Before joining in 2012, Nick was a partner with a major international law firm based in their London office. In between firms, he was in-house lawyer with the National Trust.
His practice encompasses disputes arising out of contracts for the sale and purchase of goods/services, corporate sale & purchase agreements (breach of warranty, earn-outs, share option schemes), shareholder agreements, partnerships under the 1890 Act & LLPs, employment contracts and post-termination restrictive covenants, defamation and negligence. Nick has extensive knowledge of a number of business sectors including advertising and marketing (having previously acted for WPP Group plc for many years), heavy engineering, warehousing and logistics, and the financial services industry.
Most recently Nick led a team of lawyers representing the Administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) in a number of complex and high value High Court claims against counterparties under financial instruments including GMRAs, ISDAs, Collateral Management Agreements and Custody Agreements. With additional expertise in judicial review, injunctive applications for freezing orders, and enforcing post-termination employment covenants, Nick and his team have the ability and resource to respond to most types of legal dispute.
Examples of experience include:
- Acting for an internationally known engineering group in £1m+ dispute over damages for breach of contract in relation to delivery of railway carriage components
- Acting for a UK subsidiary of Thyssen Krupp AG in a dispute with its German supplier over the supply of military grade components
- Advising the Administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) in High Court proceedings against a number of counterparties, involving a variety of complex legal disputes including the proper interpretation and effect of default notices under derivative instruments, the rule against ‘double proof’, the sale and repurchase of securities and the recoverability of coupon payments, obtaining freezing orders in England and Cayman Islands
- Acting for a logistics company in a wide-ranging dispute with a former customer (being a High Street retailer) over the terms of their agreement, including the stock exit procedure and claims for unpaid fees
- Acting for a Finnish chemicals group in the defence of a warranty claim following the sale of one of its subsidiaries
- Acting for a global insurance broking group in the enforcement of a number of post-termination senior executive restrictive covenants and claims for damages caused by unlawful activities of competitors
- Acting for a global insurer in a claim against an Israeli bank for unpaid settlement sum
- Advising a government health service corporation in relation to judicial review proceedings.