Nellie has helped drive a broad variety of commercial real estate projects in over 20 years of practicing law. She has deep experience in corporate real estate, including portfolio management, expansions and relocations, and developer projects, including single-family, apartments and assisted living. She also assists clients with economic development incentives and other programs.
Nellie helps clients reach for the stars while keeping their feet on the ground. She brings to deals a dedication to understanding client goals, and customizes her counsel accordingly. She also surgically engages additional resources to address questions as needed. She thinks ahead creatively so project teams can be strategic about their next moves in a changing environment, focusing teams on both the critical details and the broader big picture. Teams work together to impose order on chaos to efficiently achieve desired results. Nellie’s clients also appreciate the sense of camaraderie that she brings to her work, and above all know that she has their backs.
Nellie thrives on utilizing an eclectic background (like computer science) to provide atypical perspectives to her clients. She loves thinking about new trends, like industry “disruption” in supply chain logistics and management and how to navigate that opportunistically. Nellie also invests herself in personal passions like human rights and actualization. She enjoys traveling widely and gardening at home, juxtaposing apparently opposite interests.
Civic and Professional Activities
Professional Activities - Current
- Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce (Member: Board of Advisors)
- Georgia Economic Developers Association (2015-present)
- North Carolina Economic Developers Association (2005-present)
- Commercial Real Estate Women Atlanta (Member: 2016-present)
- Triangle Commercial Real Estate Women (Member: 1997-present; President: 2001-2002; Board member: 1999-2003)
- Commercial Real Estate Women Network (Member: 1997-present; Delegate: 1999-2001; Communications Committee, 2013-2017)
- CoreNet Global: Atlanta and Carolinas Chapters (Member: 2013-present)
- Urban Land Institute (Member: 2002-present, Founding Member of Triangle District Council: 2005)
- Southern Economic Development Council (2013-present)
- U.S. Green Building Council— Atlanta and North Carolina Chapters (2007-present)
- Georgia Bar Association (Real Property Section)
- North Carolina Bar Association (Real Property Section and Land Use Section)
Civic Activities - Current
- HRC Atlanta (Federal Club Council: 2016-present; Federal Club: 2014-2016)
- Atlanta Yale Club
Representative Previous Professional and Civic Activities
- Cary Chamber of Commerce (Chair: 2003-2004, Board Member 1999-2005, Member 1996-2016)
- NC Tomorrow Advisory Committee (Member, 2013)
- North Carolina Habitat for Humanity (General Counsel: 2010-2012)
- Wake County Sustainability Task Force (Member, 2009-2012)
- Cary Economic Development Commission (Chair: 2006-2011; Member, 2005-2011);
- North Carolina Downtown Development Association (2003-2016)
- HRC North Carolina (Triangle Steering Committee: 2014-2015)
- Triangle Yale Club (President: 2012-2015)
Publications and Presentations
- The Multigenerational Impact on CRE: Dealing with a Barbell Makes the Heavy Lifting Easier, Newsletter of the CREW Network, August 2015 (with Sarah Core)
- Bringing Downtown to the Suburbs: Revitalizing North America’s Office Parks, Newsletter of the CREW Network, March 2014
- Effects of Technology on Commercial Real Estate, Newsletter of CREW Network, August 2013 (with Beverly Keith)
- Mitigating Circumstances You Can Bank On, Triangle Business Journal, October 30, 2009 (with Anna Pond McLamb)
- When It Comes to Zoning, Cary Puts It Online, Triangle Business Journal, February 1, 2008 (with Anna Pond McLamb)
- Adult living brings new dimension to economy, Triangle Business Journal, July 27, 2007 (with Anna Pond McLamb)
- Freeze! Moratoriums are Popular, But are They Proper? Triangle Business Journal, December 8, 2006 (with Anna Pond McLamb)
- Inconvenient or Not, Truth is Green has Made Inroads, Triangle Business Journal, Space quarterly insert, July 28, 2006 (with Anna Pond McLamb)
- Moderator, Building a Better Tomorrow: Emerging Construction Trends, Marcus & Millichap/IPA Multifamily Forum Southeast, Atlanta, GA, March 22, 2018
- Co-Presenter, Managing your Commercial Real Estate Deal for Success: Before, During and After the Firestorm, Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Georgia Deep Dive Program, Atlanta, GA, Jan. 30, 2018
- Moderator, Marcus & Millichap/IPA Multifamily Forum Southeast, Atlanta, GA, March 9, 2016
- Panelist, Business Leaders and What’s Important in 2014, CoreNet Global, Carolinas Chapter, Raleigh, NC, March 6, 2014
- Panelist, Understanding North Carolina’s New Lien Laws, Triangle Commercial Real Estate Women, Raleigh, NC, October 2, 2013
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law, 2011 – Present
- AV rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Women of Western Wake Award, Cary Magazine, 2008
- Women in Business Award Recipient, Triangle Business Journal, 2006
- “Woman of the Year,” Triangle Commercial Real Estate Women, 2002
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
Recent representative projects include:
- North American corporate real estate portfolio management, acquisition and disposition for multinational technology companies, including:
- A global computer company expansion of corporate, sales, and technical support offices due to the acquisition of a competitor’s product line and associated necessary new locations.
- A global company specializing in insulation products - various real estate assignments to support strategic business decisions as they arise.
- Developer representation, including:
- Large community developments, some with active adult lifestyle components.
- Assisted living and other multifamily projects, including apartments.
- Projects with economic development features, such as a global contract pharmaceutical developer and manufacturer, a national furniture seller and international food services companies expanding manufacturing, showroom and headquarters facilities in the southeast US.