Michael leads our Scottish real estate practice. He advises clients across a broad range of real estate matters within Scotland and has particular experience in the field of development work assisting clients in negotiating and agreeing option agreements for purchase of land for strategic developments.
He deals frequently with drafting of Section 75 planning agreements and all matters related to the procurement of satisfactory planning consent to add value to sites. His experience with options extends to substantial involvement with on-shore renewables in particular where he acts for a number of developers in capturing option opportunities and in time entering into or selling leasehold interests in wind farms. His experience within the retail sector includes acting for clients in the purchase and letting of retail space ranging from high street stores to larger retail sheds.
He has been materially involved in the right-sizing exercise of multiple retailers over recent years. Michael works closely with colleagues right across the firm wherever Scottish property has an impact on clients' business and is well placed to bring the full range of expertise available within the firm to bear for the benefit of clients operating in Scotland as required.
Examples of experience include advising:
- Ashfield Land Limited through their acquisition, procurement of planning consent, adjustment of planning agreements and phased sale arrangements for a housing development site at Newton Farm, Cambuslang
- Renewable Energy Systems Limited in acquiring options and leases for on-shore wind farm development
- Agricultural Mortgage Corporation in their lending to the agricultural sector in Scotland
- ESB UK Limited in their acquisition of option and lease arrangements for Scottish on-shore wind farms
- Owners of multi let investment sites on portfolio management including negotiating dilapidations arrangements
- Adventure Forest in their development of leisure sites in Scotland.