Mike is an experienced litigator with the expertise to not only lead his clients through challenging, high-stakes litigation, but who can also draw upon decades of providing litigation avoidance guidance and solutions to his clients. In Mike’s view “the best litigators shouldn’t only be good at fighting the legal battles, they should be just as good at helping their clients avoid ever getting into those battles in the first place.”
Mike has a diverse legal background, having most recently spent over fifteen years as in-house counsel in both managing counsel and case handling roles for a multinational financial services company. During his time in financial services litigation, Mike managed a team of attorneys and paralegals while also directly handling all stages of litigation, including appellate work, for numerous lines of business, primarily auto lending, credit card, home lending, merchant services, student lending, and consumer deposit and digital products. Mike’s work frequently involved providing business guidance to his line of business clients in areas such as product and technology design changes, policy and procedure enhancements, and revised financial product offerings.
While in-house, Mike handled numerous class actions in various jurisdictions across the country involving a wide variety of claims including ECOA, EFTA, FCRA, FDCPA, TCPA, discrimination and discriminatory lending. Mike also has significant experience handling matters involving RESPA, TILA, account theft, check fraud, elder abuse, wire fraud and wrongful foreclosure.
Mike was in private practice prior to his time in financial services. He handled business litigation, construction litigation, insurance coverage and insurance defense, medical malpractice, products liability, and premises liability matters. During this time, Mike handled all stages of litigation and tried numerous jury trials to verdict.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Georgia (pending)
- Member, American Bankers Association
- Member North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Volunteer, Room in the Inn
- Volunteer, Urban Ministry
- Volunteer, Special Olympics
- Volunteer, Ronald McDonald House
Publications and Presentations
- Author, “Equitable Defense Proves Valuable in FCRA Suit,” FCRALand Blog, October 22, 2021
- Author, “New TCPA Risk Avoidance Tool,” Womble Bond Dickinson Client Alert, October 21, 2021
- Presenter, TCPA seminar, International Association of Privacy Professionals, June 2018
- Presenter, TCPA, Mecklenburg County Bar Banking and Finance Forum, November 2016