The intersections between technology, business and law are complex, yet filled with opportunities. Christopher’s clients rely on his 30+ years of intellectual property experience, insightful counsel and attention to detail to guide them through these intersections and to meet their strategic business needs.
Christopher advises global and regional manufacturers, life sciences and chemical companies and other technology- and knowledge-based entities to develop and implement IP strategies specifically designed to work to their competitive advantage. His practice focuses on complex technology licensing, strategic alliances and IP-related transactions, as well as trademarks and copyrights. A champion for open, focused communication, Christopher guides his clients through the complexities of acquisition, development, protection and commercialization of technology and brands in both traditional and electronic distribution channels.
One client recently commented, “Christopher brought a vast array of experience to bear on every opportunity or concern we presented to him. He is scrupulously detail-oriented, whilst maintaining a seemingly tireless and conscientious work ethic, without sacrificing the quality of the work product or the patience required for successful client communication.”
Christopher is a member of the U.S. Firm Management Committee and the Global Board. He is the outgoing Managing Partner of the Research Triangle Park office and former co-chair of the IP Practice Group.
An avid classic car enthusiast, Christopher recently completed the restoration of a 1962 Chevrolet Corvette that had been in the family for 30 years. Her name is Maxine.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Pastor’s Advisory Council, Lifepointe Church
- North Carolina Bar Association, Past-Chair, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Licensing Executives Society
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Delegate, 2018 BIO International Convention
- Member, NCBIO
- Advanced Leadership and Management Program, Lex Mundi Institute
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer, Intellectual Property, North Carolina, 2013 - 2018
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (BL Rankings) in the field(s) of Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice, Copyright Law, 2016 – Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree (Thomson Reuters), 2006 - 2009
- AV Preeminent Judicial Edition, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” by Business North Carolina magazine, 2010 – 2018
- IP Star, Managing Intellectual Property, 2013 – 2015
- Named to Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine’s “IAM Patent 1000: the World’s Leading Patent Practitioners,” 2014
- The International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers (Law Business Research Ltd), 2014
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a gene-therapy discovery company in global licensing and commercialization of rAAV gene therapy technology for treatment of rare diseases. Representation included advising the company through two technology spin-out transactions involving exclusive licenses to two different “Big Pharma” companies with aggregate deal value of up to $1 billion.
- Represented a multinational chemical company in negotiating a multi-million-dollar technology license agreement with a European-based technology provider, to facilitate client’s manufacture of methanol from natural gas, and propylene from methanol, in connection with the company’s largest capital investment in North America.
- Served as Special Intellectual Property Counsel to Chapter 7 Trustee for Microfibres, Inc., a global textile manufacturer, and advised the Trustee in connection with the management, conservation and sale of an intellectual property estate comprised of nearly 3,000 patents, industrial designs, copyrights and trademarks.
- Represented an international plant science company in development, roll-out and implementation of global licensing model for development, production and commercialization of herbicide-tolerant crops.
- Represented a mid-market multinational specialty chemical company in structuring and negotiating multi-year strategic alliance agreement with a manufacturer of regenerated materials to produce innovative materials for the automotive and flooring markets.
- Represented a multinational specialty chemical company in structuring and negotiating a $75 million contract-manufacturing and license agreement to provide additional manufacturing capacity and improved supply chain capabilities to the client’s existing manufacturing facilities.