Luke is a solicitor specialising in banking and finance, with extensive experience of drafting, reviewing, and negotiating documents for a broad range of transaction structures. Luke acts for lenders, borrowers, and commercial clients.The Banking and Financial Services practice at Womble Bond Dickinson is recognised by Chambers and Partners as a national leader (Band 1).
Luke has recently undertaken a full time client secondment to Lloyds Bank, working in the Debt Products Legal team providing transactional support and advice on a broad range of matters including refinancing and turnaround work, restructuring, and security issues.
Luke has previously spent time in the firm’s Restructuring & Insolvency team where he regularly advised insolvency practitioners on a broad range of insolvency procedures, as well as advising financially distressed companies and their directors in relation to their statutory duties. Luke has regularly worked with multi-disciplinary teams and organised inter-departmental coordination on complex commercial projects.
Examples of experience include advising:
- Lloyds Bank plc on a bilateral secured term loan facility
- a leading commercial property company as borrower on multiple real estate development and investment facilities
- HSBC UK Bank plc on several working capital facilities to be made available to UK corporates
- Lloyds Bank plc on enforcement and termination options in respect of multiple product lines and associated issues relating to the anti-money laundering regulations 2017
- a Private Equity House on finance matters relating to its acquisition of the UK business and assets of a global conglomerate
- Santander UK plc on the refinance of a financially distressed corporate borrower where security included a high-value property overseas
- one of the world’s largest energy traders on the structuring and financing of its acquisition of an oil storage facility in West Africa
- the Special Administrators of an insolvent Investment Bank in relation to the sale of the Investment Bank's self-invested personal pension (SIPP) and small self-administered scheme (SSAS) pension business, and the subsequent disposal of a large portfolio of pension scheme properties.
“Luke provided high quality, commercial and proactive support to assist the team in achieving retention of a high-value, longstanding relationship, which the Bank was at risk of losing. He quickly got up to speed with the regulatory aspects which threatened to force cessation of this banking relationship, and supported the team by identifying and delivering solutions in a way which safeguarded the Bank’s position. His help was greatly appreciated."
“Luke has been invaluable in leading the legal input on one of the Bank’s strategic projects. Luke worked extremely hard within tight timescales to firstly draft the master agreement, and then negotiate positions with 19 other parties to meet the Bank’s objective. Luke’s attention to detail was excellent in capturing stakeholders’ requirements and documenting them.”