Kurt Stakeman offers experience in matters related to law enforcement and prosecution. Kurt is a former police legal advisor and was a state prosecutor before joining Womble Bond Dickinson in 1985. He is the go-to lawyer for matters related to the criminal courts whether traffic tickets, internal investigations or cases where business clients are victims of internal or external crime, including embezzlement and data theft. Kurt handles traffic tickets and related problems for our clients, their executives and their families. He has a network of counsel, centered in the Southeast.
Kurt’s more specialized area of expertise is advising companies and institutions conducting animal-based research or food production. He has worked in this field for 27 years and spoken extensively both to clients and trade groups on the topics of protecting a company from an activist attack and responding in the event of an attack.
The nature of Kurt’s experience and training by a top public relations expert has given him substantial crisis case experience.
- Chapter, Pretrial Preparation and Search Issue, Child Sexual Abuse: A Resource Manual, Campagna Publishing, 1985;
- An Overview of Child Sexual Abuse Issues, N.C. Letter and Review, North Carolina Justice Academy, 1985;
- Enemies at the Gate – or are They Already Inside? Association of Corporate Counsel, October 2011.
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section, Criminal Justice Section
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Criminal Justice Section
- Instructor/coordinator, North Carolina Justice Academy (1985)
- N.C. Association of Law Enforcement Legal Advisors, Past President
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- As a prosecutor Kurt was counsel on a number of criminal trials in the district and superior courts of North Carolina.
- He represented a biomedical education company responding to federal and state complaints by an animal activist advocacy group. The client avoided any criminal charges and won all substantive complaint issues during a one-week USDA administrative hearing.
- Kurt coordinated the police investigation of an office manager who had used a company credit card for personal expenses resulting in a six-figure loss to client.
- Kurt investigated and obtained the prosecution of a health care company executive who used fake invoices for a six-figure embezzlement scheme.
- Kurt has handled traffic charges against executives of our major clients and obtained very favorable results.