Veteran IP attorney Kristen Healey Cramer represents domestic and international clients in IP disputes. Kristen has served as lead counsel in patent actions in federal district and appellate courts, in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent and Trial Appeal Board, and in a qui tam action involving patents. She also has served as trusted local trial counsel in the districts of Delaware and New Jersey in cases involving patent and trademark infringement, trade secrets, and other IP-related matters.
In addition to representing pharmaceutical clients in Hatch-Waxman litigation, she has litigated patent matters involving medical devices, biotechnology, consumer products and electronics, computer networks, power and business methods, among other technologies and assets. She also advises clients regarding transactional IP matters. Kristen’s peers selected her for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property Litigation.
Kristen is involved in several bar associations and performs pro bono service representing children with Delaware’s Office of the Child Advocate. She is a member of the firm’s Editorial Board and is active in the ACC’s Greater Philadelphia Chapter and Delaware BIO.
Presentations and Publications
- K. Cramer and D. Severance, Texas’ Loss is Delaware’s Gain: Navigating the Post-TC Heartland Landscape of Patent Litigation (May 22, 2017)
- R. Hutz, J Bove, M. Bourke, and K. Cramer, Notice and Pre-Filing Considerations (Chapter 3) and Trial (Chapter 15) in ANDA Litigation: Strategies and Tactics for Pharmaceutical Patent Litigators, American Bar Association (K. Dorsney, ed.) (2012 & 2d ed. 2016).
- Moderator, Recent Developments at the PTAB, PTAB Bar Association, May 19, 2021.
- Co-presenter, “PTAB Forum: IPRs, PGRs, and CBMs – Pointers and Perplexities,” Association of Corporate Counsel Greater Philadelphia Chapter, June 9, 2020.
- Co-presenter, “Protecting Your Intellectual Property: IP 101 Training,” Delaware Bio, September 21, 2018.
- Co-presenter (with Barry Herman), “The Game of Monopoly: Antitrust Counterclaims in Patent Enforcement Actions,” Association of Corporate Counsel Greater Philadelphia Chapter, April 25, 2018.
- Co-presenter, “Link to Life Sciences Series Fireside Chat,” Delaware Bio, February 22, 2018.
- Co-presenter (with Barry Herman), Easy to Claim But Harder to Preserve: Preserving the Privilege from the GC’s Office to Patent Counsel’s Office Here and Abroad, Association of Corporate Counsel’s Greater Philadelphia Chapter, Philadelphia, PA, April 27, 2017.
- Co-presenter (with Barry Herman), Hidden Dangers When Choosing Outside Counsel and Teaming Up with Similarly Situated Defendants: Ethical Implications of Beauty Contests, Hot Potatoes and Joint Defense Agreements, Association of Corporate Counsel’s Greater Philadelphia Chapter, Philadelphia, PA, December 4, 2014.
- Co-presenter (with Barry Herman), Anatomy of a Patent Dispute in 2014, Association of Corporate Counsel’s Greater Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, April 3, 2014.
- Moderator, FCBA Webcast, Industry Perspectives on the Patent Reform Act of 2010, July 2010.
- Federal Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
- ACC Greater Philadelphia Chapter, Firm Liaison
- Delaware BIO member; BIO Start-Up Stadium Judge (2019, 2020)
- National Women’s Law Center Leadership 35 Committee Member (2007-2009)
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Litigation – Intellectual Property, Patent Law, 2017 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Defense and appellate counsel for a pharmaceutical company in a qui tam action involving a patent.
- Counsel in a successful appeal challenging summary judgment of equitable estoppel.
- Trial counsel for a large branded pharmaceutical company in multiple ANDA litigations regarding formulation and method-of-treatment patents related to treating gastrointestinal disease.
- Counsel for a large branded pharmaceutical company in an inter partes review of a patent directed at treating ulcerative colitis.
- Defense counsel for a Fortune 500 power company in a patent infringement suit and an IPR involving smart meters.
- Defense and appellate counsel for a large medical device company found not to infringe patent claims directed to methods of using electrochemical sensors for blood glucose monitoring.
- Defense counsel in a successful defeat of a motion for a preliminary injunction involving a patent directed to a method of installing glueless carpet tiles.
- Delaware and New Jersey counsel in numerous intellectual property cases in federal district court.