Kevin Lyn is a registered patent attorney and licensed professional engineer who helps global companies protect and maximize their product innovations and achieve their business goals. He leads Womble Bond Dickinson’s (US) Mechanical Patent Team and is a member of the Electrical, Software and Technology Patent Team within the firm’s Intellectual Property Group.
Kevin’s practice involves all aspects of intellectual property, with a focus on developing domestic and international patent portfolios crafted to bring products to market faster, while maximizing the available scope of protection in the client’s markets. As a result of his intellectual property counsel, major appliances are more user-friendly, airplanes are more efficient, building materials are more fire-resistant, video games provide an enhanced user experience, and medical procedures are more precise and effective.
Kevin advises clients on complex matters related to mechanical, electrical, electromechanical, chemical, life science, materials, business method, software, e-commerce, and Internet-related technologies. His experience includes medical devices and diagnostic equipment, dental surgery equipment, ophthalmologic devices, clinical trial systems and methodologies, major appliances and systems, manufacturing machinery and processes, aircraft systems, semiconductor manufacturing processes and devices, bioinformatics, image processing, digital data manipulation and transmission, data encoding/decoding, and fireproofing products and processes, among others.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Kevin was a product safety testing engineer for Underwriters Laboratories and a semiconductor processing engineer for Mitsubishi Semiconductor – experience that facilitates his practical, business-focused approach to counseling clients.
He has presented seminars and taught classes on intellectual property law and patent practice for the Pratt School of Engineering, as well as for the Master of Engineering Management program, the Master of Health Sciences in Clinical Leadership program, and the Health Sector Management program, all at Duke University.
Kevin is Womble Bond Dickinson’s (US) Diversity Committee chair, leading diversity and inclusion initiatives within the firm, and serving as primary liaison to prominent diversity organizations.
- Developments in Intellectual Property Law, Panel presentation at the Annual Retreat of the Asian Pacific Interest Section of the State Bar of Texas, Apr., 2006
- Course Instructor, Intellectual Property Section of EGR 165, Introduction to Business in Technology-Based Companies, The Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University, Spring 2006
- Business Method Patents, presented at Getting Down to Business CLE Program, North Carolina Central University School of Law, Feb., 2002
- Personal Jurisdiction and the Internet: Is a Home Page Enough to Satisfy Minimum Contacts? Campbell Law Review, Vol. 22, No. 2, Spring 2000
- Duke University Engineering Alumni Council (President, 2011-12)
- Intellectual Property Section of the North Carolina Bar Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Patent Law, 2015 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Teams with a leading international major appliance manufacturer to develop and manage an extensive patent portfolio directed to technologies applicable across appliance product lines.
- Assists one of the world’s largest aerospace companies in preparing and prosecuting patent applications directed to aircraft components, aerospace materials, and manufacturing technologies.
- Assists a Canadian company in developing and managing an extensive international patent portfolio directed to fireproof building materials.
- Assists a multinational company in crafting a patent strategy and pursuing an international patent portfolio directed to digital data manipulation technology enabling full fidelity music streaming and video games with an enhanced user experience.
- Counsels emerging medical device companies regarding international patent protection for robotic dental surgery and glaucoma treatment devices.
- Represents an Australian company in developing an international patent portfolio directed to cutting-edge video streaming technology.