Ken has extensive experience in private investment fund transactions, assisting clients with the complex process of forming and investing in funds of all types and related management and governance matters, including those involving real estate, private equity, credit and hedge funds.
Since 2012, he has successfully completed private investment fund transactions totaling over $15 billion dollars. He works with clients on all fund matters, including counseling them on fund organizational and structural issues, negotiating key terms with investors and providing legal advice on all applicable securities, tax and other regulatory issues. He also regularly represents institutional investors in connection with their investments in funds.
In addition, Ken has general business law experience with respect to a broad range of transactional and governance matters including: meetings of shareholders and boards of directors; employment contracts; stock repurchases; shareholder agreements and general governance and contract issues.
- North Carolina Attorney General's Commission on Business Laws and the Economy, 2002-2004
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association. Chairman, Securities Regulation Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association, 1995-97
Honors and Awards
- Received the Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" Award in the fields of Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law (Raleigh), 2017, 2019; Securities / Capital Markets Law (Raleigh), 2021; Securities Regulation (Raleigh), 2018, 2022
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Private Funds / Hedge Funds Law, Securities / Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation, Corporate Law, Timber Law, 2007 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Over a 20-year period, have represented one of the nation’s largest timber management companies in connection with over $3 billion of private real estate investment trust, separate account and limited partnership fund formation transactions involving both US and non-US investors.
- Over a 12-year period, have represented one of the world’s largest institutional investors in connection with a variety of customized separate account, fund-of-one and commingled fund transactions ranging in size from $25 million to over $1 billion.
- Since 2015, have represented a large private foundation with over $7 billion in investment assets in an internal restructuring and in connection with over $850 million of private equity, real estate, credit strategy and other private investment fund transactions.
- Represent two large multi-national corporations incorporated in North Carolina in connection with North Carolina business law and related governance issues.