John Garziglia’s radio and television broadcast station clients are investing in a tenacious, industry-knowledgeable counselor who has a passion for broadcasting. A leading Washington, D.C. broadcast station lawyer, John has been selected as one of the broadcasting industry’s top ten attorneys by Radio+Television Business Report in its Fall 2019 issue, and one of the Best Lawyers in America in the Woodward/White, Inc. 2018, 2019 and 2020 lists.
John’s broadcast station clients range from the largest publically traded entities to incredibly successful small-market broadcasters. Clients call on John for his experience obtained through managerial work in the industry, service at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and in-depth assistance to broadcast stations for more than 30 years.
John frequently writes insightful articles for broadcast station trade publications. He is routinely quoted in magazine and newspaper articles on radio and television legal issues, and speaks on cutting-edge broadcasting topics at state and national broadcaster meetings.
Whether it is transactional negotiations for broadcast station mergers or acquisitions, securing of financing, FCC auctions of new frequencies, license renewals, facility upgrades, licensing or regulatory compliance, John’s goal is to bring significant value to his clients’ endeavors.
Presentations and Publications
- Legal Writer for Radio Ink Magazine
- Frequent contributor to Radio World Magazine, Inside Radio and Communications Daily
- Frequent Speaker at the conventions of:
- The National Association of Broadcasters
- New Jersey Broadcasters Association
- Tennessee Association of Broadcasters
- Connecticut Broadcasters Association
- Kentucky Broadcasters Association
- Washington State Association of Broadcasters
- Texas Association of Broadcasters
- Arkansas Broadcasters Association
- Federal Communications Bar Association, Co-Chair, Access to Records Committee, 1999-2001, section member, Mass Media Practice Committee and Transactional Practice Committee
- American Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized as one the broadcasting industry’s Top Ten Attorneys in the Fall 2019 issue of Radio+Television Business Report
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Communications Law, 2018 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Led the broadcasting industry’s recent efforts at the FCC to enable numerous AM stations to acquire and be awarded FM translators.
- Proposed and successfully prosecuted FCC rule changes that enable FM stations to upgrade facilities to Class C3 and Class C0 intermediate power levels.
- Drafted and prosecuted an amendment to the Communications Act enabling daytime-only stations to expand to 24-hour service subsequent to international negotiations creating the AM expanded band.
- Protected and promoted the broadcasting industry’s legislative agenda through work as an NABPAC trustee.