James specialises in financial lines insurance acting for insurers and policyholders in the defence of an array of claims.
He regularly acts in the defence of claims made against solicitors, accountants and insolvency practitioners. He has also acted for those professions in defending regulatory investigations.
James also acts in respect of Directors & Officers liability claims across a wide range of subject matters.
In addition, James provides advice in respect of coverage issues including aggregation and scope of notifications.
Examples of experience include:
- Advising a law firm in respect of the alleged negligent drafting of a Share Purchase Agreement which is alleged to have caused damages in excess of £70M
- Successfully defending at trial a claim pleaded at £18M against a firm of solicitors arising out of an ancillary relief and commercial retainer
- Advising an accountant/tax advisor in respect of an alleged failure to give advice regarding schemes which might have avoided a £1M liability to Capital Gains Tax
- Acting for an insolvency practitioner in respect of a claim pleaded at £1.8M arising from an alleged failure to properly manage the assets of the administration
- Advising the director of an independent school in respect of a claim alleging conflict of interest and improper release of a debt.