Edward Kim focuses his practice on complex business and securities litigation matters in federal and state courts, including securities class actions, shareholder derivative claims, and partnership disputes. He has successfully tried numerous cases to a final judgment or award and obtained individual jury verdicts of more than $150 million, including punitive damage awards exceeding $10 million. Additionally, he has extensive experience representing shareholders and partners of companies involving claims of breach of fiduciary duties, fraud, and self-dealing by the officers, directors, and managing partners of corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
Edward also has extensive experience representing and advising broker-dealers and other financial institutions in disputes involving the distribution and sale of securities, and he has successfully tried and defended claims of securities fraud, misrepresentation, unauthorized trading, improper supervision, and improper sales practices.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Obtained judgment for $167 million, including an award of $10 million in punitive damages, resulting from jury verdict in shareholder action against former officers and directors of company for breaching fiduciary duties owed to the company and its shareholders.
- Obtained arbitration award and judgment in excess of $5 million, including $1 million in punitive damages, against managing partner for breaching fiduciary duties owed to the partnership.
- Obtained an award of punitive damages for 200% of compensatory damages against managing member of limited liability company for self-dealing, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Obtained judgment after bench trial setting aside fraudulent transfers and order of sale of defendant’s assets to satisfy judgment.
- Won numerous NASD and FINRA arbitrations and obtained the complete dismissal of all claims with prejudice for major broker-dealer involving allegations of fraud, unauthorized trading, churning, and unsuitable investment recommendations.
- Successfully defended biotechnology company and obtained complete dismissal of shareholder derivative action asserting claims of mismanagement and corporate waste.
- Successfully defended major accounting firm in securities class action filed in California Superior Court. Obtained the dismissal of all claims and approval of class settlement with no monetary contribution from accounting firm.