Employers turn to David for his advice on how to prevent employment problems in the workplace and for his assistance in solving problems when they arise. Having represented employers for more than 35 years, David has developed a breadth of knowledge and experience with regard to both state and federal employment and labor laws which allows him to provide seasoned guidance with regard to a wide spectrum of labor and employment issues.
David's clients are diverse and range from international and national companies to local businesses. They include a variety of industry sectors such as manufacturers, retailers, banks, hospitality-related companies and high tech entities. From large manufacturers to small startups, the issues and problems faced by employers are often similar, whether they involve advising management with regard to employment contracts, restrictive covenants or terminations, or defending against discrimination, discharge or wage claims, either in court or before state or federal agencies such as the Department of Labor or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
David has been recognized as a Certified Specialist in Employment and Labor Law by the South Carolina Supreme Court and has been elected as a member of both the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, where he serves on the College's 4th Circuit Court of Appeals Steering Committee, and the American Employment Law Council, a management only organization of experienced labor and employment attorneys and in-house counsel.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-author, Independent Contractors: South Carolina (Practical Law Company 2012)
- Contributing Author, Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers, (South Carolina Bar, 1999, 2004, 2007, 2011)
- July 29, 2016, South Carolina Bar CLE: Employment Law Essentials Program, Mediation, Settlement Agreements and Separation Agreements
- July 31, 2015, South Carolina Bar CLE: Employment Law Essentials Program, Settlement Agreements and Separation Agreements
- January 28, 2015, Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce manufacturer’s Roundtable, Significant Regulatory Actions in 2014 and Trends/Expectations for 2015
- September 18,2014, South Carolina Bar CLE: Employment Law Essentials Program, Settlement Agreements and Separation Agreements
- October 25, 2013, 29th Annual NC/SC Labor & Employment Law Conference, Damages Issues in Employment Litigation
- May 7, 2012, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce 22nd Annual Human Resources Conference, Protecting your Company: Effective Employment Agreements
- March 15, 2012, Charleston Family Business Forum, Harassment and other Sensitive HR Issues.
- February 21, 2012, co-presenter, Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, LLP South Carolina CLE Symposium, Key Employees are Leaving: What do I do now and what should I have done
- May 13, 2011, South Carolina Bar Seminar – Labor and Employment Law for S.C. Lawyers,Title VII – specific Employment Practices
- August 18, 2010, Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce – Chamber Labor Climate Network, Restrictive Covenants in Employment Agreements
- April 13, 2010, Berkeley County Chamber of Commerce, Alternative Dispute Resolution
- June 4, 2009, Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce – Chamber Labor Climate Network, Ranking the Threats: Your Employment Law Radar Screen
- April 16, 2009, Lorman Education Services, Employment Law from A to Z in South Carolina
- January 23, 2008, Lorman Education Services, “Employment Law from A to Z in South Carolina
- January 23, 2007, Lorman Education Services, Employment Law from A to Z in South Carolina
- June 2, 2006, Lorman Education Services, Employee Discharge and Documentation in South Carolina
- December 1, 2005, Lorman Education Services, Employment Law from A to Z in South Carolina
- June 3, 2005, Lorman Education Services, Employee Discharge and Documentation in South Carolina
- January 20, 2005, Council on Education in Management, South Carolina FMLA Update 2005
Civic and Professional Activities
- Elder, First (Scots) Presbyterian Church
- Former Moderator, Board of Deacons, First (Scots)Presbyterian Church
- Former Member, Charleston Day School Board of Trustees
- Member of Downtown Charleston Rotary Club
- Former Member and Past Director of Downtown Charleston Sertoma Club
- Current Member, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce
- Current Member, Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce, Current Member, Leadership Charleston Alumni Committee, Former Participant, Leadership Trident
- Former Board Member, Trident Economic Development Authority
- Former Board Member, South Carolina State Development Board
- Former Board Member, Charleston County Aviation Authority
- Member, City of Charleston Arts & History Commission
- Former Member, Board of Managers, and former Treasurer, South Carolina Historical Society
- Former Board Member, and former Treasurer, Preservation Society of Charleston
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- American Employment Law Council
- SC Bar Employment and Labor Law Section: Former Member, Employment & Labor Law Specialization and Advisory Board
- American Law Institute: Member Consultative Group for the Restatement of Employment Law
- American Arbitration Association (Employment & Commercial Panels).
- The National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals SC Chapter
- The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Member and former General Counsel, The Tri-County Human Resource Management Association
- Former Member, Charleston County Public Defender’s Board of Directors
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA Ranked Lawyer, Labor & Employment, South Carolina, 2007 - 2018
- David was one of two lawyers in South Carolina to be listed in the Who’s Who in Legal 2017 Labor, Employment and Benefits 2017 Directory. He was also listed in the Directory in 2015 and 2016.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Government Relations Practice, Litigation - Antitrust, Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions, , Employment Law - Management, Litigation - Labor and Employment, Mediation, 2005 – Present
- Charleston Lawyer of the Year, SC Employment Law – Management (2015)
- Charleston Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Labor and Employment (2013)
- Charleston Lawyer of the Year, SC Employment Law – Management (2012)
- Charleston Lawyer of the Year, Labor and Employment (2010)
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2008 – 2018
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Defended numerous clients in lawsuits alleging various types of discrimination, including, most recently, an international construction company in a lawsuit alleging race discrimination.
- Defended various restaurants in US Department of Labor investigations and individual lawsuits alleging violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Advised a variety of clients including manufacturers, banks, construction companies, retailers and members of the hospitality industry with regard to employee terminations.
- Represented a national apartment developer before a state agency with regard to an allegation of discrimination in violation of state and federal fair housing laws.
- Represented various companies in defending claims of race, sex, age or disability discrimination or harassment before both the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.