Scott helps clients protect their innovations and intellectual property assets. He has exclusively practiced patent, trademark and copyright law in Atlanta for 28 years, concentrating on complex mechanical and electro-mechanical patent preparation and prosecution matters, trademark strategies and prosecution, client counseling and IP licensing in the US and internationally.
He has significant experience representing clients’ interests in intellectual property litigation matters, both in US federal courts and in US Patent and Trademark Office administrative proceedings, including Inter Partes reviews, reexaminations and oppositions.
Scott works closely with clients to develop intellectual property strategies that capture and monetize their valuable IP assets. Clients trust Scott to manage their US and global IP portfolios in a way that maximizes value for the company. He helps create and tailor secure computerized systems for the strategic management of clients’ intellectual property portfolios. These extranet systems allow clients to access and monitor ongoing and issued patent and IP matters in realtime as a part of their overall company IP strategy.
Scott regularly conducts on-site patent and IP training presentations for clients regarding intellectual property protection issues, as part of the value-added services he provides.
- Georgia Bar Association, Atlanta Bar Association
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, Atlanta Lawyers Club
Honors and Awards
- Named the Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation: Patent - Atlanta (2023)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Litigation: Patent and Technology Law (2019 - Present)
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Preparing and prosecuting hundreds of patents in a diverse range of technologies, including complex mechanical & electro-mechanical systems and machinery, such as firearms, packaging equipment, textile sewing and finishing equipment, aircraft components and tracking systems, and carpet tufting machines; software security and gaming systems; and protective fabrics and silt/sediment control materials and systems.
- Managing large patent portfolios for a number of clients, including a large firearms manufacturer and a private university.
- Reviewing patent portfolios as part of IP due diligence reviews for client investments and acquisitions.
- Prosecuting and defending USPTO administrative proceedings, including Inter Partes reviews and reexamination proceedings, trademark oppositions and European Patent Office proceedings.
- Acting as co-counsel in 20+ patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright litigation matters in US District Courts.