Clay is an experienced trial attorney who has handled a wide variety of civil cases in both North and South Carolina since 1986. Over the years, he has litigated cases involving wrongful death, motor vehicle negligence, professional malpractice and liability, shareholder disputes, product liability, will caveat and guardianships, insurance coverage, construction accidents, employer liability and occupational disabilities. His clients have included insurers, hotels, trucking companies, manufacturers, churches, and hospitals. In recent years, he has devoted a considerable portion of his practice to representing financial institutions and large developers. Clay began practicing in the firm’s Winston- Salem office in 1986. He relocated to the Greenville office in 2001.
When Clay is not working, he spends time with his family, traveling and playing tennis.
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented large resort developer at trial and successfully defeated all claims of fraud, conspiracy and breach of fiduciary duty brought by more than 100 condominium owners.
- Represented modular home manufacturer at trial and obtained defense verdict on all claims of fraud, breach of warranty, and unfair trade practices.
- Represented large bank and obtained summary judgment in claims for $27 million brought by coastal developer alleging fraud and lender liability.
- Represented manufacturer of electrical products and defeated class action certification in coordinated consumer products cases in several jurisdictions.
- Represented endodontist and obtained complete defense verdict in malpractice case seeking $6 million.