Barry specialises in Investment Funds, Joint Ventures and Limited Liability Partnerships.
Barry sets up and advises Real Estate, Private Equity, Film and Debt private funds, listed funds and UCITS funds and advises them on all aspects of their structuring, formation, reorganisation, maintenenace and exit strategies. Private fund vehicles include onshore and offshore limited partnerships, unit trusts and companies and onshore limited liability partnerships.
Barry advises fund managers, law, accountancy and other professional firms on LLP and Partnership matters. This includes converting companies and partnerships to LLPs, limited liability partnership agreements, team hires and mergers. Barry advised on the merger of Grant Thornton and Robson Rhodes and the merger of Davies Arnold Cooper and Beachcroft. Barry is cited in the Legal 500 Law Firm directory for his partnership work.
Barry also handles club deals and investments for many of the funds he works with and acts as general counsel to growth-orientated companies in all stages of development. Barry also represents many institutions, such as pension funds, insurance companies, corporations and family offices on their investments.
Barry was an investment banker at UBS for a number of years gaining extensive experience of the real estate and listed funds sectors. He brings this background to his legal work, understanding the financial as well as the legal and regulatory drivers behind projects.
Barry works closely with the Tax, Real Estate, Regulatory and Finance teams.
Barry regularly speaks at conferences and seminars. He is a member of the American Bar Association and Association of Partnership Practitioners and a fellow of the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment.
Examples of experience include advising:
- a property fund management house on the launch of 9 real estate funds and a number of joint venture projects
- a large family wealth office on a succession of club deals to invest in UK property
- the UK Government on establishing funds to invest in former coal mining areas, life sciences and sustainable technology
- Fund Managers on the establishment of private equity and venture capital funds to invest in established and start-up businesses
- a London based property company on its AIM IPO
- a Financial Services sector AIM quoted client on a number of M&A transactions over the past 10 years
- an AIM technology company on its reduction of capital and delisting from AIM
- Grant Thornton on its merger with Robson Rhodes, the first large UK merger of professional practice LLPs and advising Davies Arnold Cooper on its merger with Beachcroft
- six top 50 Law Firms and other people businesses on their conversion to LLP status and ongoing LLP matters.