Art Howson focuses his practice on renewable energy project finance and development. He advises lenders, investors, sponsors, and developers on the financing, construction, and acquisition of renewable energy projects, including solar energy and renewable natural gas facilities. Art represents clients in a variety of complex financing arrangements for renewable energy projects, including construction loans, term loans, sale-leaseback transactions, and tax credit investments.
Art also assists clients with negotiation of material project documents for renewable energy facilities. He counsels clients on power purchase agreements, construction contracts, maintenance agreements, and site control agreements. In negotiating leases and other real property agreements concerning solar, biogas, and landfill gas projects, Art draws on his significant experience in closing commercial real estate transactions. Art’s experience includes advising clients in a variety of industries on corporate, commercial finance, and equipment finance matters.
As part of his practice, Art advises clients in connection with virtual power purchase agreements, contracts for the purchase and sale of renewable natural gas, RINs, LCFS credits, and other renewable energy credits.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Representation of financial institutions providing financing for the development, construction, and operation of renewable energy facilities across the United States, including solar energy facilities totaling more than 1 GW of production capacity.
- Representation of lender financing the installation and operation of 12 solar generation and battery storage facilities.
- Representation of lender in connection with construction and permanent financing for a 100 MW solar facility involving a corporate offtake arrangement with one of the largest social media companies in the United States.
- Representation of lender providing construction and long-term financing for one of the largest biogas facilities in the country.
- Representation of lender in financing the construction and operation of one of the first renewable natural gas injection projects in North Carolina.
- Representation of lender in construction loans for multiple dairy waste anaerobic digestion facilities in the Midwest, Southwest and California.
- Representation of lender providing financing for construction of the nation’s first dual-use cranberry bog and solar energy facility, including the installation of on-site battery storage.
- Representation of lender providing construction and permanent financing for more than 30 community solar installations in Minnesota.
- Representation of lender financing the installation and operation of net-metered rooftop solar systems at California state and local government facilities.
- Representation of landowner in negotiation of ground lease to solar developer, for construction of a solar project adding over 150 MW of production capacity in the southeast US.
- Representation of financing provider in the sale-leaseback of numerous community solar, rooftop, and carport solar facilities located in the northeastern United States.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America (BL Rankings), Banking & Finance Law and Project Finance Law, 2023
Professional and Civic Activities
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- DC Bar Association