Alison qualified in 2011. She has experience of working for one of the top five most prestigious law firms in London and working in-house at a FTSE 100 company before joining the firm. She has therefore developed a well-rounded perspective on client issues.
Alison specialises in charity law and governance and also has in-depth knowledge of employment law and data protection issues. She advises charities, education providers and other not-for-profits on all aspects of charity law with a particular focus on strategic, governance, regulatory and compliance issues.
Alison aims to provide down-to-earth advice and support in an approachable manner to help clients put in place arrangements which focus on their strategic objectives, rather than being distracted by cumbersome and complex working practices.
Alison sits on the Newcastle Upon Tyne Law Society Standing Committee. She is also a Foundation Governor of a Maintained School, and acts as a Supervising Solicitor at a red brick university’s pro bono law clinic.
- Advising and supporting a large wealth management business on the establishment of a charitable foundation to help that business enhance its approach to charitable and community engagement. This involved, for example, drafting the constitution for the new foundation, and giving preliminary advice on the transfer of assets from two Bermudan entities to the new foundation
- Drafting terms of reference for the strategic board of a major museum, art gallery and archives service
- Advising and supporting a student union on its conversion from an unincorporated structure to a company limited by guarantee, which involved applying to Companies House and the Charity Commission to set up the new charitable company
- Advising and supporting on the merger of two Colleges, including drafting the terms of reference for the Colleges' joint merger committee, and providing preliminary TUPE advice
- Advising a religious charity on responding to numerous Freedom of Information Act 2000 requests received following negative media coverage about the charity.