As Womble’s Deputy General Counsel, Alison supervises a team of attorneys and paralegals that advises the firm on all legal issues, including conflicts of interest, lateral hiring, firm expansion initiatives, personnel issues, legal ethics and professional responsibility and risk management. Alison has recently become experienced in handling various issues related to transatlantic law firm combinations. She also manages outside counsel on litigation matters involving the firm. In addition, Alison regularly provides training on ethics issues to firm attorneys and staff as well as to firm clients and is a frequent speaker on legal ethics topics at various continuing legal education programs.
Before becoming full-time counsel to the firm, Alison gained experience in litigation and appellate matters, handling a variety of civil cases in both North Carolina and federal courts. She also successfully argued appeals in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the North Carolina Supreme Court, and the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Her appellate work addressed various legal contexts, including employment law, local government/municipal law, federal and state constitutional law and insurance law.
Alison also serves as the Vice Chair of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and has been a member of that committee since its inception. Alison is currently leading a firm-wide training initiative on unconscious or implicit bias and works in conjunction with the committee to drive the firm’s inclusion strategy to tangible results.
North Carolina Bar Association
American Bar Association
Presentations and Publications
- An In-House Counsel’s Guide to Protecting the Attorney-Client Privilege, Alison Bost and Shawn Haque, ACC Docket, 3/18/16.Panelist; Ethics and Conflicts in the Life Cycle of a Representation: The Beginning, the Middle and The End. Part II. ABA Real Property Trust and Estates Section webinar; November 16, 2016.
- Moderator; Advanced Corporate Conflicts of Interest. Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting; October 18, 2016.
- Panelist; Ethics and Conflicts in the Life Cycle of a Representation: The Beginning, the Middle and The End. Part I. ABA Real Property Trust and Estates Section webinar; October 13, 2016.
- Panelist; Dealing with Ethics Conflicts Should Not Require Revolutionary Thought: Ensuring a United Front and Preventing Revolt. Spring Symposium of the ABA Real Property Trust and Estate Section; May 13, 2016.
- Panelist; Town Hall Program on Ethical Business Conduct. Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting; October 19, 2015.
- Moderator; 2015 Emerging Issues: Navigating Integrity, Ethics and Compliance in an Age of Changing Rules and Global Enforcement. Minority Corporate Counsel Association General Counsel Summit; May 7, 2015.
- Moderator; The Changing Nature of Privilege – What Attorneys and Clients Need to Know about Ethical Obligations in the U.S. and Abroad; webinar for the Association of Corporate Counsel Compliance and Ethics Committee; November 11, 2014.
- Panelist; Dan K. Moore Conference on Ethics and Business Law 2014: Emerging Issues in Privilege and Conflicts of Interest; University of North Carolina School of Law; Chapel Hill, N.C.; October 24, 2014.
- Panelist; Best Practices in Undertaking Transactional Representation; Federal Communications Bar Association CLE Program on Conflicts of Interest in Buy/Sell Transactions: How to Spot Them and Avoid Them; Washington, D.C.; May 8, 2014.
- Panelist; Ethics: The Long and Winding Road of Privilege; Minority Corporate Counsel Association, General Counsel Invitational, Diversity Leadership Summit; Palm Beach Gardens, FL; April 24, 2014.
- Panelist; Current Claims Trends – Loss Prevention Suggestions; Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society, Inc. Firm Administration Conference; Chicago, IL; August 26, 2011.
- Ethical Considerations in Alternative Billing Arrangements; North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Section annual meeting; Pinehurst, N.C.; February 18, 2011.
- Ethical Considerations in Alternative Billing Arrangements; Mecklenburg County (N.C.) Bar Association; Mecklenburg County Bar Center; November 17, 2010.
- The Ethics of Emails and Other Technology; National Association of Legal Secretaries, Region IV meeting; Asheville, N.C.; August 1, 2010.
- Panelist; 2009 Dan K. Moore Program in Ethics: Ethical Issues in Troubled Times; University of North Carolina School of Law; Chapel Hill, N.C.; October 16, 2009.
- Practical Solutions to Everyday IP Ethics Problems; Carolina Patent, Trademark, and Copyright Lawyers Association meeting; Hilton Head, S.C.; September 26, 2009.
- The Ethics of Emails and Other Technology; Mecklenburg County (N.C.) Bar Association; Mecklenburg County Bar Center; February 19, 2008.
- Panelist; 2007 Dan K. Moore Program in Ethics: Conflicts of Interest for Corporate Lawyers; University of North Carolina School of Law; Chapel Hill, N.C.; November 9, 2007.
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2020 – Present
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Professional Liability Defense, Appellate Law, 2009