Alexandra Villarreal O’Rourke leads the firm’s Financial Regulatory team and co-leads the Fintech team. She draws upon her background in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to advise clients on mission-critical compliance questions and risk management as well as state and federal financial regulatory engagement, investigations, and enforcement. She also has significant experience on Fintech and Artificial Intelligence regulatory matters and helps clients navigate the evolving legal terrains on those topics. Her experience spans matters under the jurisdiction of the CFPB, the OCC, the FTC, FINRA, the SEC and numerous state AGs and banking regulators. In addition, as a native Spanish speaker, she also helps clients manage legal risk in service Spanish-speaking consumers.
Prior to joining Womble Bond Dickinson, Alexandra was Senior Counsel with the CFPB’s Office of Law & Policy in Washington D.C., where she advised the bureau on numerous enforcement and supervision matters. She served as the legal division’s team lead in several rulemaking proceedings and in fair lending civil-rights matters. Alexandra also advised the Bureau on FinTech and alternative credit data issues, issues pertaining to consumers with limited English proficiency, and diversity and inclusion matters.Through her work at the CFPB, Alexandra engaged extensively with other financial regulators and government agencies.
Alexandra also served as an attorney with the Office of the Legal Adviser with the US Department of State. In that role, she advised on both trial and appellate litigation matters concerning national security and immigration. Alexandra received a superior achievement award and two meritorious achievement awards from the State Department.
Presentations and Publications
- Technologies That Let You Play BIG, Acquire Or Be Acquired Conference, Phoenix, AZ, January 30, 2018
- Moderator, Black Box Boom – How Artificial Intelligence is Reshaping Financial Services, Charlotte, NC , August 29, 2017
- Panelist, New Data, New Payments, Let’s Talk Payments, August 8, 2017
- FinXTech Advisory Board, Bank Director, Board Member, 2018 - present
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2017 – 2019
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Member
- Carolina Fintech Hub, Steering Committee Member and Workstream Lead
- Truliant Credit Union, Advisory Board
Honors and Awards
Recipient, Women in Business Achievement Award, Charlotte Business Journal
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Led a broad-ranging regulatory risk review and third-party risk management project for a major financial institution leading in the strategic redesign of various practices and procedures to decrease legal risk while addressing key business needs.
- Advised financial institution on addressing regulatory issues in the adoption of artificial intelligence solutions.
- Represented bank and non-bank financial institutions in enforcement matters brought by federal financial regulators.
- Represented a financial institution in successfully addressing a federal financial regulator’s concerns, resulting in the closing of the investigation with a decision not to bring an enforcement action.
- Represented various financial institutions in successfully challenging state regulators’ adverse positions on licensing issues.
- Led a successful administrative challenge to the CFPB’s jurisdiction to enforce certain regulatory provisions, leading to the closing of the investigation on those provisions.
- Represented various Fintech companies in engaging federal regulators on topics of mutual interest.