Womble Bond Dickinson, a leading provider of compliance and litigation services for companies required to comply with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), is expanding its TCPA practice and has become home to the TCPA Defense Force, which provides up-to-date commentary and compliance resources for companies across the country.
The TCPA Defense Force’s original members have joined Womble Bond Dickinson’s Washington, DC office and serve clients nationwide on TCPA regulatory, compliance, and litigation issues. However, the TCPA Defense Force is also expanding with the addition of several Womble Bond Dickinson attorneys that have a depth of experience representing clients on TCPA and related matters. Many of these attorneys practice in Womble Bond Dickinson’s Orange County, Calif. office.
The TCPA Defense Force now includes the following partners and senior counsel:
- David Carter: As founder of the TCPA Defense Force, David is a frequent speaker and writer on TCPA developments. He regularly represents clients at the FCC on issues related to the TCPA, including the development of new regulations, with particular emphasis on the issues related to SMS, MMS, and RCS, as well as emerging communication technologies. David regularly counsels companies regarding TCPA compliance issues and represents companies in defense of TCPA claims.
- Virginia Barnhart: Ginny has more than 30 years of experience in litigating complex commercial and class action cases in federal and state courts and in arbitration forums across the nation. She has represented regional and national banks, credit unions, lenders, credit card issuers and servicers.
- Artin Betpera: Artin is a partner in the firm’s business litigation practice group. Artin adeptly manages significant volumes of litigation for some of the country’s largest banks and financial institutions. Artin provides sound guidance to his clients around every twist and turn of the constant changes in the TCPA landscape at the district court, appellate, and regulatory levels.
- Erin Kubota: Erin represents clients in commercial litigation matters in both federal and state courts. Erin’s practice encompasses all aspects of complex commercial litigation, including in state and federal courts and at both the trial and appellate levels. She represents banks, financial institutions, and companies in litigation involving the TCPA.
- Sterling Laney: Sterling counsels financial services clients through heavily regulated financial services and consumer finance sectors. Sterling’s previous in-house experience is valuable to clients and as a member of Financial Services Litigation Team and Consumer Finance Litigation Team, he represents public and private companies and financial institutions in defending class actions.
- Marty Stern: Drawing on his experience in the US Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission, Marty is a trusted advisor to his clients on regulatory, policy and commercial matters across the communications, technology and media sectors. He has handled and resolved numerous investigations before the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau and advises companies on TCPA compliance.
Also joining the TCPA Defense Force are a team of talented associates that have significant experience in litigating TCPA cases and who regularly monitor and write about TCPA developments. The associates of the TCPA Defense Force will include Nadia Adams, Puja Amin, Joshua Anderson, Ernesto Mendieta, Shane Micheil, John Nelson, Susan Nikdel, Tania Seanpanah, and Nicole Su.
Chris Jones, Womble Bond Dickinson’s Business Litigation Practice Group leader, said, “David has more than a decade of experience in helping clients solve telecom and TCPA disputes. He has worked tirelessly to educate policymakers about how the rise in TCPA litigation is harming American businesses and to find solutions to ensure that consumers continue to get the calls and texts they want. We look forward to being the new home of the TCPA Defense Force and continuing to ensure that Womble Bond Dickinson is the nation’s preeminent firm for businesses addressing TCPA issues.”
“I began my legal career at Womble many years ago and am honored to once again collaborate with attorneys that share my commitment to client service and innovative problem solving,” said David Carter, founder of the TCPA Defense Force. “I look forward to working with all of the newest members of the TCPA Defense Force as we continue our fight at the FCC and in the courts to bring about commonsense reforms to the TCPA,” added Carter.