WASHINGTON, D.C.—Bennet & Bennet, PLLC, a D.C.-area communications and technology law firm, is joining Womble Bond Dickinson (US) LLP, effective January 1, 2018. Led by Carri Bennet and Michael Bennet, the seven-lawyer Bennet & Bennet team will practice in Womble Bond Dickinson’s Washington, D.C. office.
“The Bennet & Bennet team consists of top-notch communications lawyers who have built a premier boutique practice focusing on wireless and broadband providers serving rural America. The firm is cutting edge in every way and brings significant depth in areas that complement our own capabilities. We couldn’t be happier to have them join our firm,” Marty Stern, leader of Womble Bond Dickinson’s Communications, Technology and Media team, said.
“Womble Bond Dickinson is the perfect fit for us and our burgeoning rural broadband and wireless client base,” Carri Bennet said. “Womble has a first-rate communications team, and the firm’s data security and privacy practice meshes well with our representation of our broadband service provider clients, who continue to improve network and data security in response to ever-evolving cyber threats. We have modeled our representation on the same long-standing tradition of outstanding personal service to clients that is the hallmark of Womble Bond Dickinson. This move will also enable us to add the firm’s capabilities in other areas, such as litigation, real estate, and IP, to the communications and technology services we offer to our clients.”
Echoing Carri’s comments, Michael Bennet said, “Our clients will also benefit from Womble Bond Dickinson’s robust media and technology practice, and its support capabilities, which now extend all the way to the UK.” He added, “Joining ‘the transatlantic firm, close to home’ will resonate with our international clients who are seeking global connections and representation beyond the U.S.”
The Bennet & Bennet firm, which was launched in 1995, has decades of combined experience representing wireline, wireless and broadband communications providers, as well as commercial and noncommercial broadcasters. Bennet & Bennet lawyers also have extensive experience representing communications and technology-focused companies before the FCC, state regulatory agencies, the courts, and Congress. They also guide telecom, broadband and technology clients in all aspects of federal regulatory compliance.
The Bennet & Bennet team is particularly experienced in serving rural broadband providers. Bennet & Bennet serves as General Counsel to the Rural Wireless Association. The firm publishes Rural Spectrum Scanner, a popular industry electronic newsletter for rural and independent telecommunications providers, and will continue to do so at Womble Bond Dickinson.
The team’s experience also includes cybersecurity, data privacy, spectrum policy, universal service funding reform and business development and strategy issues for communications companies.
- Carri Bennet and Michael Bennet, along with Marjorie Spivak, who has 30 years of experience in wireless facilities deployment and antenna siting matters, will be joining the firm as partners.
Other Bennet & Bennet team members joining Womble Bond Dickinson are:
- Erin Fitzgerald, who serves as Regulatory Counsel to the Rural Wireless Association, and advises communications and technology-based clients on issues regarding cybersecurity, spectrum auctions, wireless devices, Universal Service Fund programs, network neutrality, licensing issues, and E-911 obligations.
- Howard Shapiro, a 30+ year veteran of telecom law who represents cable television companies, multichannel video programming providers and local franchising authorities in regulatory and transactional matters.
- Bob Silverman, who counsels communications carriers on regulatory and commercial matters before the FCC, including issues involving wireless services, spectrum acquisition and lease transactions, FCC auctions, rulemaking proceedings, and enforcement actions.
- Daryl Zakov, a commercial and regulatory lawyer with a broad industry client base, who prior to joining Bennet & Bennet in 2008, worked in various senior management positions with a large wireless carrier.
Contact: Russell Thomas, Director Media & Public Relations t: 202.857.4552 e: firstname.lastname@example.org